Nubian x Boer as milkers?

WannaBeFarmR

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No go on the goats :( the first person sold her last doe kid, and the other person...I have no idea whats up with her. I asked her one or two questions, letting her know I was just trying to be as informed as possible and not trying to be annoying or anything, and she was rather rude, maybe no one is supposed to ask questions about her stock, just shut up and give her your money I guess? Anyway she never emailed me back so I guess I'm out of luck with those leads. Anyone have any doe kids in North east Michigan? I still really want Nubian but I'm open to any healthy pure full sized dairy breeds at this point. Dang is it always so hard to find well cared for goat kids.

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have one doe that is Nubian x Alpine x Boer Just to give you an idea of how such a goat looks compared to strictly purebreds of the three different breeds.

Her ears stick out like airplane wings!
She is the best of milkers!Nice large Teats.

She can give about a gallon a day for a few months after giving birth.

She is on the far left of this photo.

AreWeThereYet.jpg

Here she is in labor.
472012ShortninandRich004email.jpg

She gets pretty big when she is pregnant. She is a great mom!

432012Shortninbehindemail.jpg

I always thought this photo of her is hysterical she is getting ready to butt heads with another doe.

102610Shortinreadytoheadbuttemailflipped.jpg

It reminds me of this photo of my dog when he was a puppy.

LookMomICanFly.jpg

WannaBeFarmR

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
cute! I've been checking bestfarmbuys and just went through all goat ads in Michigan again and the closest thing is around Mount pleasant 140 miles away from me one way, but that's for full size dairy breed does there are lots of bucks listed :( that are closer to me but I'm not looking for bucks. I've been checking locally as well as hoobly, oodle, craigslist, ebay classifieds, MI super ads, and MI classifieds. Lots of goats on the west side, down state, and a few in the UP no one in my neck of the woods that I've found. Can anyone recommend another site that I should be checking?

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sounds like you just need to bite the bullet and drive for what you want or see if a breeder can help work out getting some shipped to you.
Sometimes you have to be willing to go beyond your area to get what you want.
It was worth it to me to get 2 registared NDs from a New Mexico breeder. They are super adorable

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mine I've gotten mostly from Bestfarmbuys, a few from Craigslist or word of mouth.

I'm over between West Branch and Standish and no one among my goat acquaintances HAS Nubians, let alone selling any.

Depending on how many of the upcoming kids are does, I might have some Alpine/Boers and Saanen/Boers for sale later in the summer if interested. My next does due to kid are due April 1st and April 17th. An acquaintance of mine near Flint has some LaManchas she wants to sell, but wants them to go to a good home which is why she doesn't advertise them.

I can ask around and see if any of the local goat breeders have anything, although most have Boers and Boer crosses

Looking back at your post, I see that you want a Nubian. Like me, you're smack dab in the middle of the state, so going out of state wouldn't be very feasible. Going to the UP shouldn't be too bad as there is so little traffic Fall-Spring that it doesn't take long to get there. My last 2 goats, an Alpine and her Alpine/Boer daughter, were Yooper goats. There seem to be a fair amount of goats in the Soo/Rudyard/Pickford area which isn't too far north of the bridge and has less wilderness than the western UP. Driving a trailer over the Bridge isn't bad. I've done it more times than I can count and if I can do it, pretty much anyone can.

Just keep looking, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you too.

Another thought would be to look for Michigan breeders on ADGA's website, see who has Nubians, call and tell them, "I saw on ADGA's site that you are a breeder of Nubians. Do you have any young stock for sale?" In fact, there may even be links. People will a little higher quality goats may not be selling them on CL because they want them to go to a show/breeder home instead of just being backyard goats.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Don't go to ADGA,

Here is the breeder list from Michigan Dairy Goat Society.

http://mdgs.org/mdgs/?p=352

AN or N denotes Nubian per ADGA abbreviations (key is on MDGS main page)

If you look about 1/4 of the way down, there is a breeder in Kawkawlin with Nubians, another in Merrill. Both about an hour east of you.

About 1/2 way down, there is one in Remus and one in Vassar, a few in White Cloud

Hope this helps get you started.

WannaBeFarmR

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would have no problem driving across state or even out of state if I could, but I legally can't drive (epilepsy made sure of that for me) so I have to find a friend or pay someone to drive me and no one I know wants to be on the road 6+ hours for goats, and the ones willing to drive that far from home are not willing to have goats in their cars..even in a crate. So I am limited to this area, and its very frustrating. Not being able to just drive myself somewhere I want to go is frustrating beyond belief.

WannaBeFarmR

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the info michickenwrangler and for keeping your eyes open for me too. I'll check out that link now.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am way out in CA so no help with getting you a goat to your house, but you might look into a Yahoo group called Nubian Talk. You can join for free and post what you are looking for a how much you can spend. It is too bad you aren't closer, there are alot of them out here.