opinions on buying from auction

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
My advice would be to save up and buy goats when you can afford decent ones. You're going to be shooting yourself in the foot if you buy from a sale barn. I know you want goats now, but wait a few months and save up some more money and buy a decent one. :)

marlowmanor

Reaction score
I've found a few options on the NC Ag Review site and I plan to keep an eye on that site and CL. We just filed taxes and will be doing more fencing once that comes in, then we will likely be ready for more goats. I swear if it was up to me I would have already had a doe around here from what I've seen on CL, but I always have to approve things through DH too. He is saying we should wait till we get some more fence up so I am listening. :duc Though I'm not happy about it! :rant

Trust me if we ever get to move and have some real acreage I will get into a more serious breeding program. Right now we are just a backyard operation (literally)! There is only so much you can do with 1/2 an acre!

redtailgal

Reaction score
You could have lots of fun with only half an acre.

I'd get two small does (cuz one goat is NOT cool), and just play. I've seen some videos on you tube about some of the fun things that folks will train a goat to do, lol. If I had the time Socrates would be my trained trick goat!

KinderKorner

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
My advice would be to save up and buy goats when you can afford decent ones. You're going to be shooting yourself in the foot if you buy from a sale barn. I know you want goats now, but wait a few months and save up some more money and buy a decent one. :)
:thumbsup

And unregistered doesn't mean they aren't decent. Decent for me, is healthy happy goats, that came from a herd that is tested clean for CAE and CL.

I sell unregistered goats for under $100 that are UTD on everything, and diease free. I'm not the only one out there either. We can be found. Just keep your chin up and keep looking. :hugs

ETA: My Goatie (thats her name) was bought for $45 years ago. She does all kinds of tricks. It's amazing. Goats are so intelligent. She produces beautiful babies too. She will forever be first in my heart, even though she had the lowest price tag.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wanted to add too that if your budget is only $100, wait until you can save up more because you can't have just one goat. You need two. They are flock animals and stress terribly if they are alone. I realize budget is a concern, but a sick goat from the auction will cost you far more than a healthy one will in the long run.

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
carolinagirl said:
I wanted to add too that if your budget is only $100, wait until you can save up more because you can't have just one goat. You need two. They are flock animals and stress terribly if they are alone. I realize budget is a concern, but a sick goat from the auction will cost you far more than a healthy one will in the long run.
That's great advice but, I know she's already got t2 wethers and is looking into a bred doe. (I think??)

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
SmallFarmGirl said:
carolinagirl said:
That's great advice but, I know she's already got t2 wethers and is looking into a bred doe. (I think??)
OK, thanks. I missed that part. :p

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know folks that go to the sale barn here locally in (Ayden, NC) and come home and burn their clothes and shoes. We only sell our cull does at the auction and we usually get someone else to do it for us.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I wear disposable shoes and trash them before I get home, lol.

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Lol there is a mini 6 acre farm towards Monroe for 150g, already set up for goats...
A friend of mine milks her goats and sells the kids for $60. Most go to Mexicans who eat them. I wanted a pair of alpine doelings last year but even at that price I couldn't afford them then. She has Nubians and breeds them to boar. This year it will be to my buck.

Latest posts