Orphan 3 day old calf

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hit I'm sorry to hear about Bo. You did everything you could for him. :hugs

I'm not sure about the Highlands with your heat either. Hopefully, one of our Highland people will be on and can answer that for you.

One thing to decide is do you want dairy or beef? Or maybe a dual purpose breed that you can do either with?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
since your in fla beefmasters would be a good choice for you.with 8acs you could have 5 or 6 cows.but go to a breeder that has gentle calm cows.thats a must regardless of what breed you choose.

kaseandlauren

Just born
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
:hit I'm sorry to hear about Bo. You did everything you could for him. :hugs

I'm not sure about the Highlands with your heat either. Hopefully, one of our Highland people will be on and can answer that for you.

One thing to decide is do you want dairy or beef? Or maybe a dual purpose breed that you can do either with?
Beef. We've always had red Angus cattle before this and we've done really well with them but kinda want something different, maybe with some more personality this time.

kaseandlauren

Just born
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
since your in fla beefmasters would be a good choice for you.with 8acs you could have 5 or 6 cows.but go to a breeder that has gentle calm cows.thats a must regardless of what breed you choose.
Thanks! I'll do some research on beefmasters. How are beefmaster bulls? that was the great thing about our Angus bulls, I rode them when I was little they were so sweet.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
if you get them from a breeder that has gentle cattle.an you handle them quietly an calmly they shoud stay gentle.an do not buy a wild bull or cow.i would not try to ride the bull or the cows.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So sorry to hear he died! He was a really cute calf.. Good luck with any others :)

Kute Kitten

Monkey
Reaction score
Feel sorry for you. You gave him your best try. Who knows, you might get another calf like him. :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
:welcome 1st q is did the calf ever get any clostrum milk the 1st 24hrs of life.since the cow went down calving im betting he didnt.an he will go down an die within 3 to 4 days himself.only because he did not get clostrum.so its not your falt.so dont feel bad if he doesnt make it.
Nope. I've got living proof here of the cow, sheep and goat variety that they can live without receiving colostrum.

Sorry for your loss.