Orphan Calve need help bottle feeding PLS HELP

WhispertheCalve

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Bagged up means does she have an udder? You should be able to see an udder. Does she have any "gunk" on her tail, her vulva, her backside, etc to show she may have calved? Do you see the calf actually nursing from her? And did you see any "gunk" on the back end of the cow who died?
i never got to see the dead cow cuz my husband knows how i am lol but the other one does have udders can see them very well but didnt see no gunk on her tail i have seen the calf get under her like he's sucking but from a distance so im not sure if he's getting anything

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
redtailgal- I don't like disagreements and was hoping that you accepted my post. Thanks for not being upset and I am glad we are inagreement.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I am not upset at all, I am very glad that you caught my typo! :D

We're cool, dont worry about it.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he is up under her like he's nursing and she's not kicking his little head off, you could have a calf and mama going on there. Often times calves do not resemble their mother. I'd just watch the two of them and observe the little guy's progress....if he's up on his feet and filling out he is probably just fine. New calves lay down quite a bit, so don't be too disturbed to see him lying down and a little ways from his mom at times.

Pics would be nice! :)

redtailgal

Reaction score
I agree.

Stand back and watch the calf. Are the ears up? See if you can see him pee.

If the cow is letting him under her belly, there is something going on there............

Pics would be very nice.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Calves, even very young calves will very often be a ways distant from the mother. Lots of times, the mother will even place them there on purpose. Now, if a cow were to drop a calf, and even tho she may get him up or clean him off, then just wander off and totally ignore or nudge it away, I would be concerned. Late this summer, I had to pick a 1 day old calf up out of the blazing texas sun and take it over to it's mother twice before it 'stuck' and learned that was where it belonged. Instinct just goes so far--sometimes we have to help it along. The newborn calf don't "know" and if it was a heifer's 1st calf, the moma don't always "know" either.
Some grain for the mother but don't overdo it or overfeed right away.

WhispertheCalve

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i'll try to get pics tomorrow if its not raining past 2 days been very wet and cold but i kept my husband checking on the calf in his truck. i think when we took the calf maybe it opened the mama's eyes that maybe she should take care of it better lol not sure if its her first calf cuz we just moved here in august. but since we took the calf and she got it back she hasnt let her left her side that i seen so fare

Pumpkinpup

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the calf. I am glad that the momma seems to have taken it back and is now actually watching over it. Fingers crossed that all will go well.