Our First year Lambing! (2024-25)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
In the evening after the ewes have been fed, they like to gather around me for scratches and lots of petting. I sit on a milk crate so that I’m on their level. I have a new-ish ewe that didn’t have a name. She finally got brave and for reasons known only to her, she stuck her nose in my armpit. She snuffled in my armpit, calm and happy. I was able to pet her. Next few days, same thing. I named her Snuffy.

LearningSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This morning she got a better intro to her guardians... through a fence.
IMG_6886.jpeg Mom was watching a dog outside the fences on the other side. The mini donk here is Velcro. He actually pushed our jenny (named Mimi) away from her at the fence when they where having a nose-to-nose moment. I had them out in our converted horse stall so I could clean out the jug, my husband is afraid the other ewes will trample her (I dont think so) but wants us to be able to supervise her with the donkeys and the "big girls" for the first time. Based on the way mom pushed her back to the jug when she got a little TOO nervous, I'm pretty confident she'll keep using it when I take the front panel off.
IMG_6834.jpeg

She even got nose to nose with the 2nd youngest Ewe in our flock, my daughter's dorper Boo. Pretty sure that Boo is more dog like than sheep like 🤣

IMG_6889.jpg

LearningSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She has actually showed a really good bond to the baby since day 1 - which surprised me as she is a 1st time mama. We left them to the horse stall tonight, I will check before leaving for work in the morning (first day i've worked since Princess was born). Hubby wants mom in the stall for a week, I don't think she will make it without pushing a fence when the others get turned out during the day. (others are in a smaller pasture for the night, have access to a bigger pasture during the day) When the others got "bored" of the new attraction and headed out to the bigger pasture, Dorothy (mom) got nervous and started pushing the hog panels on the horse stall.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A few days to let baby strengthen up and it will be fine. If mom is anxious about being left behind, then don’t keep her in for a week.