Outside pen size vs. indoor housing size

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We are getting our 4 mini-nubians on Saturday.

They will have access to .75 acres of "pasture" when we are outside with them. When we are not at home, they will be confined to a pen - a fenced area about 2800 square feet. I get the feeling that our house is a bit small, but am wondering if a decent pen size will make up the difference a bit. The goat house is 5' X 12' (we are using an outbuilding that we already had until we can build a 12 X 12 for the goats next spring. We built a new chicken coop this summer and it cost double what we thought. :rolleyes:

Also, since our house is smallish, can we make a roof type thing over a manger out in the pen or does their food and water need to be in the house where they are sleeping?

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Your pen size is fine, but the shelter is a bit small. You might look at putting up a couple of hoop houses, they are inexpensive, and 2 would allow for plenty of bedding and feeding area.

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ah ha! Hoop houses are a good idea. What size do you think we would need? We were going to make one anyway for winter crops. I'm off to investigate hoop houses....

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hoop houses are wonderful--we use them up here and they work well. We start with a pallet base and put the cattle panels inside the pallets. 12 x 12 is good or 12 x 16 works. if you put up a wood half circle at the back and frame up a door in the front-- also see if you can get a used pool liner for the covering for the goats. One of my brothers services pools and we used an old above ground pool liner for a covering for the horse shelter. I bought out an upolstery shop and had marine quality naugahyde and convertable top covering for my goat buildings. You can use conduit to curve over the building and for something to connect the cattle panels to.

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mini-M Ranch said:
Ah ha! Hoop houses are a good idea. What size do you think we would need? We were going to make one anyway for winter crops. I'm off to investigate hoop houses....
What is a hoop house? I did a search and looks like a plant house? Thanks scotty

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A hoop house is made by bending a cattle panel into a U shape, and keeping it formed by notched 2"x4"s or other means. A tarp is then attached to the house, and for around $30.00 you have a shelter that if staked down with t posts, will with stand most weather conditions.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Won't they pick at the tarp...or just outright eat it?

I'm not trying to further the old "goats will eat anything" line here, but seriously...I'd be shocked if a goat didn't at least pick at a tarp until it was thoroughly shredded, if only because it was there.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I can hardly carry a bag of shavings past my goats. One in particular will grab and eat plastic, given the chance. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I can hardly carry a bag of shavings past my goats. One in particular will grab and eat plastic, given the chance. Sheesh! :rolleyes:
Yep.. Shirts tails, sleeves, gloves, the button flap over your back pants pocket, the bill of your hat, your hair.. That's why I just can't imagine leaving something so tempting as a tarp in the presence of any self-respecting goat and not expecting things to slide downhill from there.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
No, the people I know who have used hoop houses have had -0- problems with goats chewing on the tarps. I guess it is possible if the goats are really bored, or hungry, but so far they have not had that problem.