Photography~Wild Birds

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome to a new thread where we can share our wild bird photographs, talk about tips and share lessons that we've learned, and even ask questions and seek opinions. Whether you have been photographing wild birds for years or became inspired to start after seeing the pictures here, please join in!

I have always loved bird watching and naturally, I wanted to combine it with another of my hobbies, photography! I'm only an amateur, but you've got to start somewhere...and with photography it's practice-practice-practice! It's not a lie when I say that you can come home from a day out shooting with 500 photographs on your memory card, and only a handful of them turned out the way you would like. Don't get frustrated, it happens to all of us. I'll get it started with a few of my favorite bird photos. I know we've got a lot of photographers in this forum, so don't be shy!

Backyard feeders are a good place to start because your subject isn't moving around as much.
IMG0159-M.jpg

Birds in flight are something that I would like to personally improve on.
Green-Heron-3-M.jpg

Red-Winged-Blackbirdmale-M.jpg

snowy-egrets-M.jpg

Action shots will make your picture unique and interesting. I sat there, camera held at the ready, for 15 mins...before he struck. Like I said, patience is important, and it will pay off!
IMG3078-crop-M.jpg

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks. :)
I thought of some general tips that apply to photographing birds:
-Ideal times of day to shoot are early morning and late afternoon, when the sun is lower in the sky. You will get less shadows and the lighting will be softer.
-Try to shoot with the sun to your back. You don't want the bird to be a silhouette (unless that is the look you were aiming for) and in dark shadow.

redtailgal

Reaction score
COOl!

What kind of camera do you have? Do you shoot in manual? What kind of lens have you got?

I have a Nikon d5000, and usually use a Nikor 70-300mm, or my 105mm macro for the close up stuff. I prefer to shoot natural like, but am buying a Speedlight 900 to use with my homemade softbox setup for some product photography and waterdrop hi-speed, and possibly smoke manipulation in the future.

Have you ever tried any abstract photography? I recently tried Hi speed waterdrop...and it was really fun. I am going to try and learn about doing some smoke manipulation photography next..........dont guess you have any pointers do ya?

Here are a few of my bird shots:

2952_anczoo2010-24aej.jpg

2952_anczoo2010-26aej.jpg

2952_chirpingsparrow12262010aej-37.jpg

2952_hawk1062010aej-9.jpg

2952_hawk1062010aej-47.jpg

2952_whitethroatedsparrow12262010aej-26.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
um, wow. I didnt mean for those to be so big onthe screen............got excited and forgot the size them down enough.....sorry!

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
COOl!

What kind of camera do you have? Do you shoot in manual? What kind of lens have you got?

I have a Nikon d5000, and usually use a Nikor 70-300mm, or my 105mm macro for the close up stuff. I prefer to shoot natural like, but am buying a Speedlight 900 to use with my homemade softbox setup for some product photography and waterdrop hi-speed, and possibly smoke manipulation in the future.
I have a Canon Rebel T3i. Lenses I use for my bird photographs are a Canon 70-200mm f/4L and Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3. I also have the 18-55mm that came with the camera body, and a 10-22mm wide angle. I bought the wide angle for mostly outdoor landscapes, but I haven't had a chance to really get out there and play around with it. :( I switch to manual focus when the subject isn't really moving. I don't feel confident enough, yet, to do it with a quick moving subject, like a bird flying that I'm afraid I would miss. Sometimes, I just put my camera on the sports setting.

Have you ever tried any abstract photography? I recently tried Hi speed waterdrop...and it was really fun. I am going to try and learn about doing some smoke manipulation photography next..........dont guess you have any pointers do ya?
No, I haven't tried shooting abstract. I've never tried hi speed or smoke manipulation, either. It does look like fun!! One day... *sigh*

(Edited to remove mis-info.)

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That last sparrow photo would look great framed on a wall. I love the angle of his perch and how it cuts through the pic. I :love the hawk! Well, I love any bird of prey, especially owls.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I've had my eye on a sigma (need more focal length). Have you been pleased with yours?

I rechecked your red-wind pic, and it looks like it turns out a pretty good shot, can you remember what length you were at when you shot it? where you at the max of its zoom capability?

I use auto focus for most things. I'll switch to manual for macro.

I do like to manually configure my exposure. I wont hesitate to bump it to auto for some situations, though lol.

I loved the Hi-speed, but it takes TONS of light or you end up way underexposed unless you run that ISO way up. I havent tried Smoke manipulation yet, but I think that it will not take as much light.

You have a nice variety in your bird shots.......are they all around you or are you traveling? I'd love to travel and get more birds from other places.

Oh....and my favorite time to photography the birds is right after a rain. The colors are brighter and the birds more playful, lol.

Birds in flight, that is hard. I tend to give them "lead" and let them fly into the frame. I seem to get a sharper pic with this method.

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oops! I lied... But, I just checked the info on these pics and they were definitely taken with that lens wide open at 500mm. It's a good lens for the money, less then half of the money canon wanted for a 500mm fixed focal length lens. I do wish the bokeh was a little better. Oh! And that snowy egret pic was taken with that lens at 500mm. The feeder was at my house, but the rest were taken at Bombay Hook NWR in Delaware... Including these two pics. That place is such an amazing place to bird watch!
IMG4144-crop-L.jpg

IMG4209-crop-L.jpg

Latest posts