Photography~Wild Birds

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Barred Owl - next step down from a great horned owl, and virtually identical, except the missing "horns"
3120_barred_owl.jpg

Chickadee on my grandfather's feeder
3120_121.jpg

and on the suet feeder
3120_123.jpg

North-East Wild Turkey
3120_wild_turkey_1.jpg

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh how I wish I could get photos of the Owls we have around here. We have some barn owls that like to hunt in the field next door. They are so beautiful! But always too dark to get good photos of them!

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I love all the new photos being added by you guys! I've been too busy with work... then I cut my finger & had to get stitches, so that didn't help matters, either. But I'm back, LOL!
DKRabbitry- I think I agree with RTG, the reeds don't look bad in the mallard duck photo. The first telephoto lens I bought was a 70-200mm... It's doable, but it got frustrating knowing I was missing out on some great shots because the bird was too far away. All of my pics in the first post (minus the snowy egrets on the branch) were taken with that lens. I read somewhere online what summed up the problem pretty well. You can spend lots of money on fancy equipment and still get mediocre bird photos. Or, you can get yourself closer to the subject and come up with some sort of blind in the backyard (next to a tree or bush, through an open window in the house, etc.) with a good view of the feeder where you can set up a tripod. I bought a really nice lightweight one for $40 on amazon. Then, hopefully the birds will come to you. :p

peachick- Nice! Look at those eyes... Very captivating!

Livinwright Farm- Great photos! I saw some turkeys the other day and so wished I had my camera in the car with me. :/

20kidsonhill- He was perched right by your house? You were watching him and he was watching you...lol. That is an interesting pose to capture while he is preening himself.

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A picture I had to share. I'll preface it by saying, yes, I know it's blurry and not the greatest picture. I had to crop it down so much. I was outside stalking a different bird in the bushes, when I heard a loud hawk call. I immediately popped up and started scanning the sky. This red tailed hawk was circling over our front yard/horse pasture. He/She was calling over and over as she made slow drifting circles over the fields... it was really exciting and I snapped a lot of pics because I was lucky to already have my camera with me. Looking back through the photos, this one stood out. As I was watching her, she was watching me! lol...
IMG2378crop-L.jpg

(I wanted to add that the online photo site I put my pictures on, I have set to automatically watermark every picture.)

redtailgal

Reaction score
It wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

sigh I love the birds of prey. I have a passion for redtails.......hence the name redtailgal!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
It wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

sigh I love the birds of prey. I have a passion for redtails.......hence the name redtailgal!
Have to say the same thing. Absolutely beautiful bird. We are very lucky to have a few in our neighborhood. Along with falcons. I know it sounds odd in a residential area, but from time to time, especially in the Winter, they low fly the road checking out for squirrels and rodents. It's an awesome sight to see. They ain't as small as they look when you are that close up. And I have been. Our Dogwood seems to be a perfect spot for both the Redtails and the Falcons to rest and watch.

Absolutely beautiful and awesome birds.

Thanks for sharing Little One.

K

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is the first time I've seen a Sharp-shinned Hawk (?). This might explain the little feathers scattered next to the chicken coop last week... and another pile of feathers at the end of our driveway from a few days before that. I was standing outside on our deck, and our rooster was the first one to see him flying down to our yard. Everytime the hawk flew to a different perch, the rooster growled. :lol: I'm still amazed at how the rooster knows which birds could be a potential threat (although, this hawk is too small), he never growls at the vultures overhead.

IMG5419-crop-edit-XL.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
Oh Nice catch!!!

Hubby and I both agree that it is probably a Sharpie and a female one. There is a possibility that it is a small male Cooper's Hawk, though. We cant be postive without seeing the front, though. (so run out there and find it..............ask it to turn around and get us a frontal, lol)

Either way, its a nice shot!

Latest posts