Photography~Wild Birds

redtailgal

Reaction score
You said that you wished the boekh was a little better, have you tried using the lowest F-stop you can? It would be really hard, I know, because you'd have to slow down your shutter speed, but that lower aperature on a non-flying bird may get you a better bokeh effect.

OK, I need to ask a question........I'm walking on eggshells here cuz I am worried I may sound offensive. I do not mean to! I notice that the first pic below is not as sharp as the others.......Was that a lens problem? I am asking because that particular lens is on my shopping list......after the tripod and head I am getting for Christmas.......I am thrilled because the tripod I have now is terrible. Anyway, I have been worried about getting this lens because it is so much cheaper. And now, You are using one......and you like it, so I am thrilled! Would you recommend that lens?

I'm sorry, lol, I really didnt intend to ask you to start this thread and then give you the third degree. If I annoyr you, please tell me to shut up. I have a pretty thick skin.

Birds of prey are fun. I am fortunate. I have a Falconry liscense, and know lots of other falconers. They call on me to photograph their birds, I have had occasions to photograph peregrines, finnish goshawks, red shoulders, red tails, coopers hawks and a few harris hawks. I have not had a chance to photograph owls, but if I get the chance , I will most certainly jump on it!

I will be going to the coast in February. I have been commissioned to photograph a wedding, (my sisters wedding, so I am a bundle of nerves). Hopefully, I will have a chance to go waterside and get some birds!

I will have to buy an external flash for this wedding. I think I am gonna get a speedlight 900. Ever used one?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
RTG, it's called talking shop. I can't imagine why anyone would be annoyed by discussing the fine details of photography. That's how we all learn from each other. I may be speaking out of turn here but heck I've learned so much by reading you's guys' posts, that if you shut up, I, for one, will be ridiculously disappointed.
Everything Queen Mum said, goes ditto for me. :thumbsup

Love the wild bird shots. Have a bird feeder in back. Lots of birds come by during the winter. Looking to get shots of the birds that we feed in the winter. Have some beautiful cardinals come. Really stand out in the snow. :)

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
You said that you wished the boekh was a little better, have you tried using the lowest F-stop you can? It would be really hard, I know, because you'd have to slow down your shutter speed, but that lower aperature on a non-flying bird may get you a better bokeh effect.
No. I wish I was home right now so I could go test that out and let you know how it goes.

OK, I need to ask a question........I'm walking on eggshells here cuz I am worried I may sound offensive. I do not mean to! I notice that the first pic below is not as sharp as the others.......Was that a lens problem? I am asking because that particular lens is on my shopping list......after the tripod and head I am getting for Christmas.......I am thrilled because the tripod I have now is terrible. Anyway, I have been worried about getting this lens because it is so much cheaper. And now, You are using one......and you like it, so I am thrilled! Would you recommend that lens?

I'm sorry, lol, I really didnt intend to ask you to start this thread and then give you the third degree. If I annoyr you, please tell me to shut up. I have a pretty thick skin.
Ah! You have nothing to be worried about!! :) Which picture exactly are you referring to? The eastern kingbird? Oh, BTW, good thing you're getting a new tripod because the one downside- but I know this will apply to any larger mm lens- is the weight! That thing is several pounds... If I was home, I would go weigh it and let you know how much exactly. It is ridiculously huge!!! :p I am stubborn and freehand it with my elbows tucked in to support... Even holding my breath, lol! But I can still get a little shaky. It's just that I don't like to carry the tripod around and potentially miss more spontaneous shots. None of these pictures where taken using a tripod. But, yes I recommend this lens! If you are planning to shoot in low light, I would say no. With that f-stop, it is not ideal. And I've tested this out myself around sunset time. Pictures are grainy. And this is verified with reading user reviews about the lens online. Again, when I get home next week, I can give you some example shots if you want.

Birds of prey are fun. I am fortunate. I have a Falconry liscense, and know lots of other falconers. They call on me to photograph their birds, I have had occasions to photograph peregrines, finnish goshawks, red shoulders, red tails, coopers hawks and a few harris hawks. I have not had a chance to photograph owls, but if I get the chance , I will most certainly jump on it!

I will be going to the coast in February. I have been commissioned to photograph a wedding, (my sisters wedding, so I am a bundle of nerves). Hopefully, I will have a chance to go waterside and get some birds!

I will have to buy an external flash for this wedding. I think I am gonna get a speedlight 900. Ever used one?
I have a canon speedlite. It's amazing compared to the built in flash.... worth the money if you plan to do indoor shooting. I will admit that I haven't figured out all the functions, yet. But, it works great for what I've used it for so far. Being able to bounce the flash off the ceiling/walls is a huge plus.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I think I will start saving up and plan on getting it next year.

I dont like using the tripod that I have, but my new one will be much easier to set up and easier to transport, so I hope that I will use it more often.

I priced Sigma Speedlights today, they seem pretty reasonable. I'll check out the canon ones before I make up my mind.

This wedding is coming in February, and I am a complete basket case over it, lol.

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Holy Wow Ladies! You two are my new idols LOL
I am not the most patient creature... so wild Birds are not my strong suit. I love watching them, but they are usually too far away for a *good* picture. The biggest zoom I have is 200mm. I do however, really like this duck photo. Wish I could move those reeds around a bit to make it more appealing, but all-in-all I think it turned out okay.

3525_duckhen.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
I dunno DK. I sort of like those reeds like that for this shot anyway. It makes me feel as though I am peeking in instead of just looking.

Nice shot! :thumbsup

redtailgal

Reaction score
Dont be jealous! Get your camera and learn to take awesome pics!

Latest posts