Picky goats ?

high5acres

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have 3 bucks, all about 8 months old and they seem to prefer dusty old hay to the fresh picked and bailed hay we just bought them. We were told that all alfalfa isnt good for bucks so we got straight hay. Does anyone have any advice for us?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Actually, alfalfa hay is good for bucks. The total diet of your goats should have a ratio of at least 2:1 calcium to phosphorus. That is what helps to prevent urinary calculi.

By the way, it is all hay, just what type of hay.

pdpo222

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My goats waste first cutting hay. Called horse hay around here. I have a standing order with my hay man every year for second cutting. It's grassy and not much in the way of hard pieces that they won't eat. It costs more but the bales are bigger and they don't waste a lot, so really cheaper in the long run. Straight alfalfa hay is hard to come by in our area, since it's a big dairy area and cows seem to do great on the horse hay type. But mine do just great on what they are getting. I always water down dusty hay. Did it for my horse, just a habit now. My goats I think are picky, won't eat half the stuff other owners say theirs eat. So basically they are on pasture when available, but won't eat the clover patches. Hay and Purina Noble Goat for grain. Works for me is all I can say. They look great and act great. They love horse treats. I break them in pieces for them so they don't choke. The buck goat will do almost anything for a horse treat. :lol: They like soda crackers too. They are not much for "people type" foods. I tried some of the things others have said and they just look at me like "is this all ya got" :tongue

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My goats are super picky..They will not eat Coastal hay which is what they were eating getting when I bought them.So I had to buy Alfalf, eat just fine but sure is expensive here in Texas.They wont eat any of the things folks said were good treats, raisins they sniff and go away,animal crackers same thing.Yesterday I tried to give them some pumpkin from my daughter carving a pumpkin and they smelled it looked at me like I was crazy and then followed me around for 30 minutes wanting something.I cut them some Hackberry branches which they love...................Mike

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My newest one, Delila isn't thrilled with hay. Given she's so small, I've had to buy alfalfa pellets for her. She gets that and sweet feet.

I have one goat who prefers hay to grain. Another one who doesn't like hay. Go figure.

high5acres

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you all for commenting! Picking up on ksalvagno's comment, I had to dig out my storey guide to goats to try and find where I read about alphalpha. As it turns out, the book states alphalpha and clover have little colbalt which ruminants need to synthesize vitamins. It goes on to say that can be overcome by providing trace minerals. So overal it's probably much better for them than it is harmful. Thanks again All!!!:). Have a great day on your farms!!