Pics of my new Kune Kune pigs So Cute!

cat1994

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I finally got the money to go out and buy some Kune Kune pigs! I have wanted some since I was in high school so finally getting to see them and buy some for my own was great!!
So introducing Gala and Fuji (lol I named them after apples) my two fully registered ten month old Kune Kune gilts

2970_g-pigs_028.jpg

2970_g-pigs_029.jpg

2970_g-pigs_035.jpg

We are planning on taking them back to the guy I bought them from in June to be serviced by one of his Kune Kune boars. We plan on growing out most of the piglets for pork I may sell a few also. Im excited to see how well they do on rotational grazing as they are known as a grazing less rooting hog. I have come to understand that if you have enough grass they can grow off nicely with lil if any grain just veggies, fruits, and grass Im pumped to prove to all the old men around here (they call me a silly girl) that you dont need to raise a hog on concrete and corn to get some nice pork!

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Those are hairy lil things. Reminds me of something I would see on the flintstones cartoon

Royd Wood

Reaction score
cat1994 said:
Im pumped to prove to all the old men around here (they call me a silly girl) that you dont need to raise a hog on concrete and corn to get some nice pork!
Good on you and I know it will work out for you

1463_new_pig_pen_013.jpg

Royd Wood

Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
Are Kune Kunes meat pigs? They look tiny like potbellies. :D

Are those Large Blacks Royd?
Yes mostly with a couple of Tamworths and 1 Hamp
White - all pigs can be meat pigs and I think Kunes get to a reasonable size

Cat - are the trotters like a horses hoof on these guys

cat1994

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Originally Kune Kune pigs were breed for meat. They would live among the peoples houses eating the table scraps so they became very tame and like human company. Due to their short noses they cant plow under all the grass and tend to graze instead which is yet another reason why I really like them. They are a lil on the hairy side but when we butcher them we will just have to skin them. We like to make head cheese but unfortunately these guys dont have much when in comes to a meaty head and neck lol kind of looks like they dont have any neck at all. They are not mule footed they have cloven hooves and very lil dainty feet. They get up to about 200 to 240 lbs.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are really cute! Like their long hair :)

You said you were going to have them bred by the breeder's boar...now I'm confused...they are gilts...thought that meant young males??? Oh...I have so much to learn before even considering pigs!

ETA....just looked it up...gilt is a young female pig...yeah...I'm a long way from even thinking about pigs obviously :lol:

cat1994

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
They are really cute! Like their long hair :)

You said you were going to have them bred by the breeder's boar...now I'm confused...they are gilts...thought that meant young males??? Oh...I have so much to learn before even considering pigs!

ETA....just looked it up...gilt is a young female pig...yeah...I'm a long way from even thinking about pigs obviously :lol:
:lol: yeah learning pig terminology is probably a good idea I would think

cat1994

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
Yup...I think so too...could order some young females and a few gilts and be waiting for baby piggies :lol:
Hahaha yeah you would be waiting for a loooooong time lol :D You should hang out with me and my two girls for a day Gala and Fuji could definitely teach you a few things

Latest posts