Pics of my new Kune Kune pigs So Cute!

cat1994

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Cornish Heritage said:
Those are cool looking pigs! Look forward to hearing how they turn out & what you think of the meat later on down the road.

Liz
Yep yep we got some Kune Kune pig bacon from the guy we bought these from and it wasn't as fatty as my dad thought it would be so he was pleased with that I'm just pumped that we have plenty of grass for them so we can cut cost on feed

cat1994

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Cornish Heritage said:
Good to know you were pleased with the bacon :)
Yeah Im glad the bacon is good cuz my uncle and dad are all about eating tne piglets so it would be bad if it was no good lol

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yesterday I was reading the latest issue of Countryside (Mar/April 2013) & in there is an article on the KuneKune pigs. (Pronounced Coo-nee, Coo-nee for those of you who don't know. I had no idea!) I discovered to my amazement that these pigs originated in New Zealand which of course is where we are headed once we have finished up everything here in the USA. These pigs have really sparked my curiosity now & we will certainly be looking into them once we get over to NZ.

How are you finding them for rooting? The article in Countryside said they do not need much grain supplementation but of course compared to a commercial pig nor do many of the heritage breeds so I would be interested to know how much you are feeding yours each day.

How are they taming down? Nice temperaments?

Liz

cat1994

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Cornish Heritage said:
Yesterday I was reading the latest issue of Countryside (Mar/April 2013) & in there is an article on the KuneKune pigs. (Pronounced Coo-nee, Coo-nee for those of you who don't know. I had no idea!) I discovered to my amazement that these pigs originated in New Zealand which of course is where we are headed once we have finished up everything here in the USA. These pigs have really sparked my curiosity now & we will certainly be looking into them once we get over to NZ.

How are you finding them for rooting? The article in Countryside said they do not need much grain supplementation but of course compared to a commercial pig nor do many of the heritage breeds so I would be interested to know how much you are feeding yours each day.

How are they taming down? Nice temperaments?

Liz
Wow hahaha thats so cool that you get the same magazine as I do! lol I was so pumped to see that they had an article all about them. In fact one of the pigs in the pic for the article looks just like my Gala teehee! Yes they are form New Zealand but no one is sure exactly how they got there some believe traders brought them over on their ships. Thats great that you are looking into them when you get to where your going. New Zealand has some great original blood lines and if I understand correctly they are much easier to obtain as they arent as rare as they are in the USA.

They do root in soft places but nothing like a normal pig. Dad says he had sows that would plow everything under without a care in world, even the driveway! My girls noses are so soft, short, and squishy they dont really push anything about except their straw in their pig house. Having so much ground for them really helps as well. They dont root when they have grass to graze. I dont feed my girls any grain. Grass, hay, and produce I get for free from my local grocery store (they throw away a lot of good veggies!) thats it.

I couldnt help but smile a little when I saw your question about their temperament
These pigs want to be every bodies buddy. I mean they love you especially if you have some goodies. When you dont have anything for them they are so content to just have a good patting. A scratch on the belly does wonders! I have sat down in the fresh straw of their pig house and they have settled down almost on my lap and napped many times. My dad says for me not to let them jump up on me, cuz they will! Not meaning any harm just jumping up like a disobedient dog would to see if you have anything, its so cute

Thats what really convinced me to get this type of pig. They are so easy going even though I have grown up around pigs all my life I still find the normal intimidating. With these girls its a totally different story. They are just so laid back it rubs off on anyone thats around (except the chickens they still find them terrifying) lol

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They are just so laid back it rubs off on anyone thats around (except the chickens they still find them terrifying) lol
Oh that's funny. Our chickens are quite happy around the Large Blacks - they help to keep all the bugs under control. Sounds like the KuneKunes have a similar temperament to the LB's just smaller. Looking forward to hearing updates from time to time.

Liz

cat1994

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My girls are growing well! My neighbor has a Pot Bellied Pig boar and wants me to bring one of my gilts over so we can see what the cross piglets will look like. Idk yet weather I will or not, my dad wants me to. He says the neighbor and I would split the piglets and we would just eat them if we can't get rid of them. I moved them from their temporary holding area to some nice pasture. They are sharing it with my two steers and my mini donkey Gus and they all get along surprisingly well lol
2970_kune_kune_013.jpg

2970_kune_kune_010.jpg

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh my! They are SO stinkin' cute :) Thanks for the update. Can you find a KuneKune boar to breed with OR do AI?

Liz

cat1994

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know right they are growing so well but still just as cute as always and ho so tame and friendly! The man we bought these from in Advance has two pure Kune Kune boars. We are swapping feed (we grow our own grains) for his boars services.

Latest posts