Poka_Doodle's journal

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going to be completely honest, I am at a point in life where my time in the barn is in my past and my future, but besides my horse, is not a huge part of where I am now. Instead, it seems I am chasing goals running. I typed this up today, reflecting on my ultra marathon. And I took a ton of pictures today, so I will attach a few at the bottom, with all the pretty colors.
Honestly, I don’t even know where to begin. Never before running have I hit such a range of emotions in a single run. There were really high highs. Towards the end, probably past about mile 25/26, I really felt good and wanted to push really hard. Also, about mile 28, I remembered there were cheezits in my car. And I have never been so darn excited about cheezits. They had cheezits at the aid stations, but I think that is the best way to describe how delusional my head got while running.
But as much as there were the highest of highs, there were some incredibly low lows. I think it was like mile 8 or 9 maybe that I hit a really hard mental block. My foot I injured last week, was throbbing, and I wasn’t that far into the race. Not finishing definitely crossed my mind. But I turned on my music and started really listening to it. And I got it in my head that I was not going to DNF (did not finish). From that point, my mental shape in the race really changed. But then sometime in mile like 16 or 17, I was a little way out of an aid station, but in a long stretch till I returned, and I tripped really hard. I re-scraped my leg. I took a couple minutes, it isn’t the first time I have done that, it is a part of trail running, and honestly, I at least knew that after gathering myself for a couple minutes, I can continue on. Somewhere out there, I started thinking about a hill at the end, and had one of my smarter thoughts- focus on the mile I am on. But right after that was the hardest part of the course, a big mountain climb. I saw people on the trail way up above me and couldn’t believe it. Here again, I definitely took time to gather myself, I knew I would just be walking it, trail running includes walking. The climb, and time after it was long and hard. I wanted to be upset with myself for going slow, and after some self talk, I decided it didn’t matter. Because in the end, I did it. When I finally reached the aid station, the aid station I had never been so very excited to see, I got myself refreshed, and back feeling good.
The next 10 miles was the best section of the course for me. I had accepted how slow I was, and was completely ok with it. I honestly was feeling really good, and knew I had an aid station in not much time, and then the final push to the finish. My music kept me great company, and it just felt good. Most of it was downhill, and just very fun.
At the very end, I definitely sped up. Kinda. I got a bit delusional as happens, and there were stretches that I knew I could run, but I was a little too tired. The last probably three miles are hard to describe how they felt. So much pride. I was tired, very tired. But I knew I was close and that was so nice. When I finally saw the school that I knew the finish line was located by, I felt just so relieved. I saw some runners ahead of me, I knew I could pass them, and I did, that felt great. Then when I knew I was about six minutes out, I queued up the song I listen to at the end of most of my long runs, “Gold” by Dierks Bentley. And I just felt those lyrics on another level, as I usually do at the end of runs. It made me want to cry honestly. I did it.
In late April, it was just an idea I got from facebook when I learned about the race. For about 2 days I believed I would run the 35k, but I couldn’t get the thought out of my mind that I wanted to run the 55k. And with the right encouragement from a friend, I made it my goal. Since then, I have thought about my goal every day. The training wasn’t easy. Nor was the race. I want to say I will never run an ultra-marathon again. But if you know me, you probably know that there is a very high chance I run another again, just probably not very soon.
4614C402-28CF-44F6-8B75-B2CEEA7FD8EF.jpeg
B5FCDBB4-7EE6-490E-A3DB-0E7BD238B160.jpeg
8DCC346E-1436-4CE1-B932-FB5F10827677.jpeg
14EF0B09-9766-40B3-8F85-064347682D9F.jpeg
0699AD24-3780-454A-8211-49F6D91FA5F6.jpeg
4C548691-3A3D-4AF1-A703-623B77822936.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Running marathons is where you are now. Meeting the challenge and proving to yourself that you can do it, finish the race is a darn big achievement. The barn is in your past. The things you learned will stay with you all your life. You met the challenges of raising and showing animals. You did it, you finished the race.

The barn is in your future, but not now. Marathons are an incredible challenge. One day, you will be satisfied that you conquered marathons and you will find new challenges. The barn will be waiting for you to return. In what form? That is up to you and what opportunities you seek out. Backyard farmer? Hobby farmer? All in rancher? Full time, part time, just a few chickens or finding new mountains to climb, you will meet and conquer the challenges in life.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, that is a huge accomplishment. One that not many take on and complete. It's your passion now, and it shows. The scenery is gorgeous - my DIL sent me pics of around her home in Crested Butte - looks just like your pics the colors are amazing.
Follow your dreams, set your goals and go for it --- you're the type who will do what it takes! 👍 👍
PS -- I'd never make it beyond the first or maybe second mile - heck I drive to my mailbox a mile away :lol: .

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you guys! And exactly Bay! I guess I can say that I hope to teach Ag in the near future, so I know that soon enough I will be back to the barn. For now though, what the barn taught me was amazing, and I am so grateful for it. But now it is time to see what I can learn and accomplish running. It seems that I have been setting goals of accomplishing the craziest thing I believe I can accomplish, and then achieving those goals. Marathons are fun, so ultra marathons seemed like the right challenge, and for now, may be my limit :lol:
@SageHill Crested Butte is exactly where I was racing, it is absolutely beautiful :love