Porkchop48 - Long overdue LONG update

porkchop48

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OMg where to start.....

Lets start with the cows - 3 new cows have joined the herd. Two baldies and one black angus. The shortly baldy calved about 3 weeks ago and is doing great with her little bull calf. The Black angus calved about a week later - but unfortunately the calf was run over with the brush hog .. Talk about a not so good introduction to calving and cows. We are still waiting on the 3rd to calf. She is due closer to October ( we think)

All the goats except for the two fainters have been moved to the other side of the road. They are working dilligently on clearing 20 acres of fence line and doing a great job of it. I think it will be good for them to get all the extra browse and get some more weight on before winter and breeding time.

I picked up a new apline name Harley, a new red paint boer named Pockets, a red doeling named Cherokee, a red headed doeling named Hollywood, another almost solid dark red doe named Angle and another dark red head named Starburst. Firecracker my red buck will be coming next weekend.

I have a Nubian buck due to come in two weeks to breed my Nubian does and Harley the Apline was bred to my Alpine buck. The rest of the group will be bred to Firecracker.

I picked up a 5 day old holstein heifer calf yesterday. She is drinking 2 qts twice a day from a bucket and I picked up calf starter today. She is a free martin and will be grown up and eaten or taken to the sale in the fall or spring. It all depends on how she grows and does.

I sold 3 of my doelings ( two lamanchas and an alpine) well actuallu worked them and a turkey into the trade for the two Boers ( starburst and Angle). I still have a 2 year old lamancha and her 2 wethers for sale. I may just end up sending the wethers to the sale and keeping the doe. Just not sure yet. She had twins unassisted her FF so she is a good doe just not where I am looking to go with my herd.

Starburst and Angle were both 4H goats. They will be bred this spring after they hit a year old. They both are so sweet and gentle since they were 4h projects. I am very happy to be adding them to my my herd.

Ok so that is the goat and cow update.

2 new kittens joined the farm. Both are currently living in the man cave. Well 3 were added actually but McGrew the tabby was killed in a truck incident ( the day after the calf was killed - That was NOT a good weekend). Chang the siamese mix was delivered by a friend of DH a few days later, a few days after that DH calls me at work and ask me to stop at his work on the way home and bring a box. I show up and there is a tiny horribly skinny black and white kitten some one had dropped off. So Mulatto came to live with us :)

Time to feed Punky ( the bottle / bucket calf) and head to bed.

Sorry for yet another long winded update.

Dino

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow... so porkchop implies a middle-aged fat man, glad you clarified that because I thought it meant you were a pig farmer. Must be its like being called a cracker .... :rolleyes:

Irony is; I bet my post gets deleted.