Post Your Goats' Antics!!!!!

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I see SO MANY funny stories of peoples goats on here, and thought that it would be great if there was a place to post a whole bunch of them to entertain us..... One of my favorites is Maggie Who controls Llamas.... LOL

Here's mine.... It was just before loading them into the truck for the fair, so we rounded up the girls into the waiting pen. And, of course, Debbie didn't want to go, so she opened a latch, pushed it open, and walked into the main pen... Only she would do that!!!!!!!!!!!

So..... POST AWAY! (Hopefully :fl )

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have one goat, her name is Maybell who is quite the crafty little thing! We pride ourselves on our pen being pretty secure from critters getting in (or out!) so we were shocked to go outside one day to find 5 little goats trotting around the yard outside their pen! We were baffled as to how they were getting out as they are enclosed in 6' chain link fencing with electric wire ran around the top and bottom outside! We rounded up all the girls and put them back in the pen. We waited around (out of view) to find that she was conspiring with our buck John to help everyone escape! Big Boy John was getting up on his hind legs and hooking the power cord to the fence with his head, unplugging it and effectively rendering our electric wire useless. Then Miss Maybel would wedge herself under the fence, pry it up and let all the smaller weaker kids and does through the gap before finally crawling out herself!
We have since fixed the problem...but oh goodness...my girl is such the sneaky one! She makes our life interesting!

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ok, here is a Buckley story....

he's about 6 months old and he apparently didnt like where I put the furniture in his yard...

"This chair needs to be moved"
1898_dsc_0167.jpg

" a little more too the left...."
1898_dsc_0168.jpg

"Hmmmm, maybe not."
1898_dsc_0169.jpg

"I guess I liked it where it was."
1898_dsc_0170.jpg

"yep, this is better.
1898_dsc_0171.jpg

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Willow, my mis-named fat pygmy cross, started escaping from the pasture. Just Willow, no one else. She would get out, then run along the outside of the fence, screaming to be let back in.

I walked that fence many times, trying to figure out how she got out. It made no sense. There were no gaps, the gates were all secure, she was too old and fat to jump, and no one else got out, even her best buddy, who was even better at escaping and who taught me all about how to fence in a goat.

Finally it happened while I was working in the field. The herd was heading out to the pasture and Willow decided she had an itch and walked along a section of fence, rubbing her body against it as she went. When she got to the corner by the gate, whoops! She FELL THROUGH the fence, did a complete roll, and got up on the other side, completely confused, and started running the fence, screaming to be let in. There was a missing staple or two on the corner by the gate, and it was not visible to man or beast. But lean on it, and it was a one-way portal into the woods.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Both of those stories are SO FUNNY!!!! If you read my signature, " If cats have 9 lives, goats must have 10!" because of all of the crazy and dangerous situations they get in!!!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A double"Kid" story:

To help our son get ready for 4H showing we bred a couple does out of sequence for our son(then 7) to have a younger smaller doeling to show in an Open class. We had hoped this would help him with his confidence for when he was 9 and old enough to start showing in the meat goat classes.

This little doe just a couple months old was fine with my husband and I but when my son would take the lead would drag him all over the yard, and pull him right down, if he held on tight enough and wouldn't let go. He was sooo frustrated. As showing day got closer and closer, he was so worried and nervous. My husband and I realized this might not go very well and since it was an open show, not for kids we would probaby have to step in and just show the little 4month old doeling ourselves.

Show day came, my son was almost in tears. He was sure it was going to go bad. The time came when he lead that little doe in the show rink. His father and I stood their so proud as that little doe and our son looked like they should have been in a showmanship class. They looked sooo good.

The show was done my son came out with his little doe next to him "pepper" and he looked at us with a big grin on his face, and said, "She is just like me, I don't listen when I am home, but I listen when I am at school."

:D

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Both cute stories!!! I have another, I've told it here before I think.

When we bought our little property in the 'burbs, it was to retire my show horse who had been boarded at nice stables her entire life. She was quite nervous and jumpy with the sounds of a tight neighborhood, and wouldn't even go out in the pasture unless I went out with a book and stayed with her. I was out many nights after 10 PM walking her and calming her when there was noisy party activity nearby.

So I got a couple of rescued goats. A semi-feral pygmy (Willow in the story above) and a retired Saanen doe who was well-cared for early in life but abused at the home before mine.

We were clearing land for a larger pasture and I set up a temporary electric fence, one strand, to keep the horse in while I was home to check on her. The goats would go under the fence but would stay nearby, so it was working out ok until we could get the real fence up.

One hot summer day, I was working inside the house, and when I glanced out occasionally the horse looked fine. I couldn't see both goats, but didn't worry to much about them. The horse would go nuts if they wandered too far, and she was calm.

I found out later that the man next door was teaching his young teen son about fixing cars in the front of his house and it was so hot, they had both front and back doors to the house propped open. The boy went into the house for a glass of water and there, exploring the kitchen, was my Saanen doe!

He brought her back to the horse and only told me about it a few days later. Good thing the neighbors love goats and used to have some!