Pregnant Cow Help!

cows

Just born
Reaction score
yes I want to ride my cow Queen because I cant have a horse and I want to ride she is a former show cow so I thought it was perfect I am going to water till after she gives birth to do the under saddle work but any ground work will help out a lot
if you have any ground work things I will take them she in only good with walking and standing to get groomed and tacked up and is it better to do bear back horse saddle or bear back saddle

cows

Just born
Reaction score
if you have any ground work things I will take them she in only good with walking and standing to get groomed and tacked up and is it better to do bear back horse saddle or bear back saddle
"mini horses" do you have any advice about the statement above ^

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with bareback saddle. Put weight on there and walk her to accustom to that, before you get on. Cows can jump and buck! 😳😁. Also, ground train as you would for driving, from behind, to train for head control of body movement, beyond leading. Use verbal cues each time. When you're up there, you can't "lead". She must know to move from trained cues.

Once you have that going, start by laying across her to train for your weight. Talk to her from up there.

Similar to a horse, trust, calm and handling cues. Bovine have been used for years -- mostly to pull but, trainable. Having been 4H handled is a critical start for you! 😊 Oxen are trained from calves to adult.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

cows

Just born
Reaction score
Agree with bareback saddle. Put weight on there and walk her to accustom to that, before you get on. Cows can jump and buck! 😳😁. Also, ground train as you would for driving, from behind, to train for head control of body movement, beyond leading. Use verbal cues each time. When you're up there, you can't "lead". She must know to move from trained cues.

Once you have that going, start by laying across her to train for your weight. Talk to her from up there.

Similar to a horse, trust, calm and handling cues. Bovine have been used for years -- mostly to pull but, trainable. Having been 4H handled is a critical start for you! 😊 Oxen are trained from calves to adult.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
she dose not like people were she cant see them and I have never trained a horse AT ALL!!!!! I am asking for types on how to get her trust I got one ride last year before she got pregnant and it was a vary forced ride I am looking for whys to do ground work but all the videos of training a cow is for showing and just the end of training to ride for horses it is better but I am trying to figure out a why to do the same for my cow in a why she will do it its getting harder to work with her because of hormones.