premature calf

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
memela said:
Thank up all for such kind words. She would have made if she hadn' developed the mengities. the vet said he thought she would have but it had spread to far. Maybe if I'd find him sooner and got her there. I'm an animal lover so this will not be the last time I'll be on here asking questions. i have 9 boer goats that will all have their babies 1st of October. So looking foward to that. I'm so glad i found this site all of you have been a blessing to me. A Big Thank You for all your knowledge and caring.
My heartfelt condolences for your loss. :( But please do do the "what if" game. You DID your best. She DID her best but got a really raw deal. You learned a lot from that Beautiful "Miracle". Take that gift she gave you for all the hard work you both did trying to get her on her feet and use it for your animals now and all the future babies. :) She will always live on in you AND in the care of your animals! That's why she was there! :)

Just my opinion! And will be looking forward to October 1st and GREAT News! :)

Should I think Pink? :fl

1MrsMagoo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, first thank goodness you now have a good vet: Let's keep the faith you won't need him though!!!!!!

Also, if you don't have them already, get yourself some nipples just in case you end up with a bottle baby. I buy some from Jeffers that are used with a 20oz soda bottle ...I liked them better than the ones from the feed store. Ever since my first bottle baby, I always keep a supply of these on hand.

I got a call in May from a man we know who raises Boer goats: He had a 9 day old buckling that the mother had rejected and none of the other does would take. The little guy was bone thin and getting too weak to stand and the guy couldn't bottle feed him (time and help issue). His daughter told him to call me and he gave me this little guy that I named Tony...

4691_tony_goat_day_9.jpg

Turns out Tony didn't know how to nurse correctly and was chewing and hurting the doe, which is why nobody else would let him nurse either. After putting him on milk replacer, I fought scours for a week (put some medicated scour treatment in his milk), but he is now a healthy, ornery 3 month old.

Make sure to post pictures when the kids start arriving!

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry, I've not been here for awhile and was just going through old posts, so sorry to hear about your lose, I had a feeling that would be it as soon as you mentioned her eyes. I've had two go through it, was lucky to save both mine, althought the most recent has cost me waaay more then she's worth (still worth it to me).