Probiotics.... how do you give it to a "picky" goat

rjfoster03

Just born
Reaction score
Am trying to give a picky goat probiotics..... she is really funny when it comes to new things. I have a powder form of the probiotics and tried mixing it with ground up grain (which she will eat easily) + honey + ground up ginger snap. At first she munched and then out it came. I ended up doing the mix in water and syringe it down thing....

Any suggestions on making this easier for all of us?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
The kind I use is a paste and I just grab their upper jaw to get the syringe in and then put the paste at the back of their throats. Not sure about that kind.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a container of the powdered probotics, but after it was gone I switched to the paste kind in a tube.

It actually tastes good and once they taste it they will come at you and lick their lips.

I'd just sprinkle the probotics on their food, maybe mix with a bit of karo syrup in their feed.

Donnabelle

redtailgal

Reaction score
Most of mine take it without a problem, but I have one picky doe. I corral her into a corner, straddle her and hold on for a minute while she pretends to be the next world champion rodeo bull, then squirt the stuff down her throat while I sadistically giggle.

Then we kiss and make up over a small handful of grain after which she remembers that she loves me.........

rjfoster03

Just born
Reaction score
I have tried the molasses thing and she takes and then spits it right out.... I keep the syringe with the powder and water with me, so we still get to have fun.

I think that I will try the paste thing next.

ThornyRidgeII

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
some goats hate to be "forced" to do anything.. my goats go crazy for regular old animal crackers/cookies.. an easy way (has been done many times and they are none the wiser) is squirt the paste form of the probiotic onto a few cookies and feed away.. they gobble it up!!!
works every time.. no muss no fuss! plus they think it is a treat! and in a way it is .. just with a little twist.. have done this with other pastes and gels in the past as well

Marianne

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I keep on hand a spray bottle of water mixed with a little molasses for stick-em. Very lightly mist any food and then sprinkle on the powder. The powder will stick and nobody will know the difference--my goats particularly like spritzed Fritoes. Caution: be sure to use a very light mist on pelletted grains or the pellets will come apart.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Agrilabs vitamin & electrolyte powder $2 from jeffers for a pack add it to the water. It has probiotics plus the electrolytes & vitamins. Good for goats, chickens, pigs, whatever you have & they love the taste I find it makes them drink more water too. Love that stuff!!!

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
that's*satyrical said:
Agrilabs vitamin & electrolyte powder $2 from jeffers for a pack add it to the water. It has probiotics plus the electrolytes & vitamins. Good for goats, chickens, pigs, whatever you have & they love the taste I find it makes them drink more water too. Love that stuff!!!
Oh, just don't add the whole pack read the instructions first that little pack goes a long way.