Promise Acre: Our Journey

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Discovered why we have sagging upstairs this wall was moved and needs moved back 3 feet to the left
Is the wall supported below in the basement?
If you like the width of that space, you can take the ceiling out, jack and sister the second floor joists, redo the ceiling. You would have to take the ceiling out and jack even if you move the wall.

I bet DH can redo those basement stairs in a day or less.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is the wall supported below in the basement?
If you like the width of that space, you can take the ceiling out, jack and sister the second floor joists, redo the ceiling. You would have to take the ceiling out and jack even if you move the wall.

I bet DH can redo those basement stairs in a day or less.
It sure sounds like the currently existing wall may not be supported in the basement, tho I do see what looks like some stanchions in the photo to the left of where they are working on the sump pump. What they are directly under isn't clear.

It's unfortunate that PA and her family are going to have to expend the $$ and time to fix some jack leg's screwups, especially considering it's on a house that was probably very well built originally, and possibly even originally better built than most of today's homes are.
But, it's not unusual for someone to move a wall thinking "it won't matter, I'll make it work'' never understanding it's a load bearing wall or even knowing what a load bearing wall is. It wasn't until I got on the internet and started reading different boards, that I realized just how few people in the 20th and 21st century USA hadn't an even rudimentary knowledge of basic carpentry.

Hopefully the new owners can get it straightened back out to it's original strength and integrity quickly and fairly easily.

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH got the roof patched up, yesterday. It’s quite steep so a harness system is going on the need to buy list.
74D82418-CFFA-4215-BD56-518E4BC62F5A.jpeg
D06E3369-B457-4BFF-9027-874082C503F4.jpeg

And a random view on the farm4461C7A0-995A-4A21-BA22-C9ED5F73E120.jpeg27A681B5-B2F5-4145-BE33-2CD9248D1543.jpeg
Today He cut some scrub trees so he can get a blade out of the trees, for the tractor... in good condition so we’ll put it to use but the trees had grown up around it. Girls and I stayed home as Kinzey is still getting over a virus. I am feeling over it. So Jocelyn and I cleaned bunny cages, while she did water bowls then walked some bunnies... then we took a quick bareback ride on my Richie. 4FF49BEC-6DB2-40F0-838B-A101470888B0.jpegB91B2BEC-85D0-4206-9FE5-13136E37A40A.jpeg

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH got the roof patched up, yesterday. It’s quite steep so a harness system is going on the need to buy list.
Harnesses are good. So are "chicken ladders". I have one of these
I had used an emergency escape ladder that has plastic steps and short stand offs tied over the roof to replace a stack flange that had been damaged by ice. Yes with a harness as well. Worked but really uncomfortable and I never felt secure. When I put the snow rails on the same roof to prevent the same damage in the future I bought the chicken ladder (I have NO idea why it is called that). Very stable, easy to stand on the rebar rungs.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's called that because only a "chicken" would feel the need to use it? REAL roofers don't need no stinken chicken ladder... They aint chicken to work up there and maybe fall and break their heads or backs.