Purplequeenvt - New Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hopefully something good will come along sooner than later. Definitely watch your back.
While I liked the work I hated the corporate crap and the "if they're foreign they are automatically better" --- so not true (70s and 80s), but they were good at stealing the credit. Engineering. So glad I got out long long ago - animals are far better, they don't lie - except when they are sleeping (and even then some are up-standing 😉 :) :lol: ).

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes you are placed on a position, unable to defend yourself against ugly people. You could stay and create a huge ruckus, and possibly take the stains of battle with you on your work record, or just find a better place, slip quietly out the door and let Stupidvisor and Type A have it all to themselves. I hope your search is fruitful.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went through all the ewes this afternoon. They got crutched and got Bo-Se shots in preparation for breeding season.

I haven’t had my hands on them in far too long. It’s hard with Oskar in with them. They’re doing a lot better around him, but he’s always in my way when I’m in the pen and they get nervous when he’s flapping around all excited.

They are all in much better condition going into breeding than last year. No one is fat, but there’s only a couple that I’d class as too skinny. The skinnier ones are 2 of the jumpier ewes so I think they aren’t getting as much grain because they’re quick to leave the feed when Oskar walks by.

I’ve used raddle powder the last couple years, but I’m going back to the marking harnesses this year. I managed to locate all 3 and got them washed up. I ordered marking crayons this evening. Assuming they’ve arrived by then, I’m planning to set up groups on Thursday after the extra sheep are gone.

———

I’m keeping all but 1 of the Border Leicester ewe lambs - 4 white, 3 black. I didn’t keep any last year and I’ve got 3 adult ewes that are potentially getting culled next year. I’m going to grow them out and re-evaluate in the spring.

I’m also growing out 2 of the Shetland ram lambs. They have a lot of potential and I’d like to see them as yearlings.

———

I’m considering taking the Shetlands to show at NAILE in Louisville this year. I have a full flock - yearling ram, 2 ram lambs, 2 yearling ewes, and 2 ewe lambs. My youngest sister brings her Border Leicester and Lincolns.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Everyone is sorted out. The sale sheep are penned up in the barn, ready to be loaded in the morning. I’ve got 17 to go. That’s about 1/3 of the flock. 😬 My sister is sending around 16 of her lambs too.

Breeding groups are together as well. 3 groups - 2 Border Leicester rams, 1 Shetland. There’s 15 ewes to breed. 6 Shetlands, 8 Border Leicesters, and 1 crossbred.

I retired 2 more ewes this year. I retired Minnie last year. Valerie and Freyja are joining her. These 3 ewes have earned their retirement and will earn their keep as babysitters for the lambs over the summer.

I’m not breeding Patti this year. She’s Lizzie’s mom and she really struggled last year. She’s doing a lot better and could probably be bred safely, but I’m giving her the year off.

All suited up and ready to roll!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
17 oddballs off to the sale!

We didn’t stay for the sale, too much to do at home. My sheep sold in the Good/Choice category and they brought more than I was expecting. My 5 little guys (3 Shetland wethers and 2 runty Border Leicesters) brought the most. They averaged 51lbs.

I saved this ungrateful turtle. He was trying to get through the woven wire, but he was too fat to squeeze through.

Oskar and some of his sheep.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oskar sure has grown! He is such a handsome dog.

Did the turtle want in or out? For me, turtles are a pain. They want in to get to the pond. Sentry hates turtles and barks insanely at them. He learned to tip them and can clench them in his mouth. I rescued 2 from him since he learned to crunch them, then it got super hot and haven’t seen any turtles.

I’m glad you did so well at the sale. I take it that’s a big sale. Do people’s come from out of state and do you have to get health papers for the sheep?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oskar sure has grown! He is such a handsome dog.

Did the turtle want in or out? For me, turtles are a pain. They want in to get to the pond. Sentry hates turtles and barks insanely at them. He learned to tip them and can clench them in his mouth. I rescued 2 from him since he learned to crunch them, then it got super hot and haven’t seen any turtles.

I’m glad you did so well at the sale. I take it that’s a big sale. Do people’s come from out of state and do you have to get health papers for the sheep?

I think the turtle was traveling from one pond to the other, but he took the scenic route and got lost. Or maybe rerouted by Oskar. He also likes to eat turtles.

I don’t know how big this sale barn is, but I believe it is one of the larger ones around here. They do weekly cattle sales and a graded sheep and goat sale twice a month. Everyone has to have a scrapie tag, but no health papers needed.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Same here. If someone shows up with no scrapie tag on their sheep or goats, the auction puts one on them. No health papers needed, unless going out of state. Sales in east Texas are mainly cattle, sheep and goats are an afterthought. They sell by the head. West Texas has better and bigger sales just for sheep and goats. But the nearest one is over 3 hours away. The next closest is 5-6 hours away. Never been to one. I’m working on getting my breeding ewes numbers up, one day I’ll have enough lambs to make a trip worth while.