Question about Boy goats scenting of the beard.

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok so I have this pygmy boy, I have already asked about him being a wether , if he is will he still spray his beard and snort it at me?

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The good thing about wethers and why they make good pets is they don't have the bucky smell as intact males. :)

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have never heard of a wether peeing on his beard or snorting (like a buck does) at a person. That really sounds like buck behavior to me. However, nothing is impossible when it comes to animals.

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
he is a pygmy so I looked and he has a small round sac,if these are his testes then I guess he isn't fixed, He is acting so grumpy now he stares at me and gets all snorty, then he was stamping his hoof,so obviously I have made him angry.
How am I suppose to deal with his sassyness?
I have no idea how old he is but am wondering can I castrate him with a band or do I need to take him to the vet nd have him put under??? How to deal with his temper tantrums, then when I walk away he crys??? :/

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's possible for a wether to act "bucky". I have a friend who's wether will follow you around blubbering at you like crazy. He even licks at your legs. He's a real funny guy :idunno He doesn't pee on himself though.

Farmer Re

Just born
Reaction score
I was going to ask the same questions about this. Why do they pee on their beards? I too have a boy pygmy and he is NOT nutered, but does this too. He snorts also but not aggressive. He wants to be petted soo bad, but he just sticks!!!. I also heard that if you cut their beard they will stop, but I dont know if that is true or not, but is is cut with is beard! I got him from another ladys boyfriend. Anyone out there, please help us out!!! Thanks.:)

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They pee on their beard as a way of showing the girls just how "manly" they are,...LOL. They aim to be just as stinky as they can possible be,..LOL. It's normal and there really is no way to stop a buck from all of the peeing around on themselves.

Yep, they need human love too,...LOL, as stinky as they all, I still pet mine and tell them how sweet they are,...LOL!:lol:

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And to answer your question, no. If you cut his beard, he'll still pee on his face. The stinkier they are, the more the girls love 'em. ;)

You can band him if you can get his testicles into the band. With cooler weather here, the bucks are all ready to go to work. That sassiness goes with the territory when they are in rut.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, he'll just pee on his face if you cut his beard. The only 'cure' is de-nutting, but if he's already learned what it is to be in rut, he'd most likely always be a little buckier than a wether that was castrated young.

Buck goats just stink.. It's kinda their 'thing.'

If someone could figure out how to cross for a genetically stable dual-purpose buck that doesn't stink or pee in his own face or generally act like a meth-head during rut, they'd make $1,000,000 by 4pm tomorrow afternoon.

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had wethers that had been "cut" instead of banded--they didnt' pee on themselves or smell, but were still very bucky and acted bucky when girls were in heat.