Question about Tatooing and Registering Goats

cjhubbs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! We have two purebread registered saanen goats (isn't the purebred implied, in this case?). Only one of them is bred because the other appears to be sterile, although we are getting another saanen in May. I haven't thought much about showing but why not it actually sounds fun. Oh and I am 16. So I think I am starting to understand the whole "registering thing". I just want to make sure, to register my goat's kids I will need to tatoo them, the herd tattoo on the right ear and the kids number on the left. My next question is what is the point of a heardname? Thanks agains!:)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are registered Saanens then yes they are purebred.

The one that isn't bred may not necessarily be sterile. An infection can cause a doe not to settle, or not being with the buck at the right time as well. We had a couple that didn't settle, but we think it was a timing thing.

You can talk to the people at ADGA they will give you all of the information.

Now, your bred doe? Is the buck on your farm? How you register will depend. If you got her already bred, you will need a breeding memo from the farm she was bred.

I would suggest you call the folks at ADGA. They are very nice and helpful.

That would be your best bet.

cjhubbs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We do not own our own buck at this time. We brought our goat over to a women whom had a saanen buckling (whom is registered) and bred her. The women mentioned something about a service memo. I will definitley call the people at ADGA later today. Thanks again for all of your help! Oh and the reason that my parents and I suspect she is sterile is that she A) she never shows heat, B) acts very masucline, C) hated being with the buck for the 30 seconds she was in the pen (could have been a timing thing) and D) wasn't bred by the previous owner because she could not get her to settle.

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When a kid is born on your land or farm, it belongs to you. Example- I purchased a doe from "johns farm" and then bought a buck from "janes farm" I proceed to breed them and have kids born on my own property. The sire would be "johns farm so & so" and the doe would be "janes farm so & so" but the kids would be "your herdname so & so" Does that make sense? Assuming that they are all registered

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
SassyKat6181 said:
When a kid is born on your land or farm, it belongs to you. Example- I purchased a doe from "johns farm" and then bought a buck from "janes farm" I proceed to breed them and have kids born on my own property. The sire would be "johns farm so & so" and the doe would be "janes farm so & so" but the kids would be "your herdname so & so" Does that make sense? Assuming that they are all registered
That's not what she said she did.

She carried her doe to another farm and it was bred there. She needs a service memo to register the kids.

cjhubbs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, we brought our goat over to another person's farm and had her bred which means I will need to get a service memo. I did just learn from my parents that our goats papers are still at the previous owners house, for safe keeping until we need them. So I am going to have to email the previous owner for the papers and ,I assume, I will have to pay to change the ownership on the registration. Thanks again for all the help!:)

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
SassyKat6181 said:
That's not what she said she did.

She carried her doe to another farm and it was bred there. She needs a service memo to register the kids.
She asked, "My next question is what is the point of a heardname?" and this was my reply.....sorry if it was taken wrong.

cjhubbs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I get it now. So the heardsname is used to specify what person the kids or goats were originally from. Thanks for the help!