Quite the Surprise!

quiltnchik

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She's 2 weeks old today, but I forgot to post a pic here.

We bought the doe in January and were told that she had been bred in December, so I was expecting her to kid after my other doe who's due late April. Hubby went out to feed on February 20th. He called me from the barn and said, "You need to get dressed and get down here NOW!" When I asked, "Why?" he said, "I'm standing here looking at a baby goat!" The previous owner did mention that his buck had torn the gate off the hinges in early September, but he wasn't sure Barbie was bred. Well, it appears he did his job and, from what the previous owner said, all of the does he sold (3) gave birth that very same weekend. That buck was one busy boy!

Just last night a name finally came to me. I've decided to call her Bramble. :)

She was born with entropion (inverted eyelids - in this case, her lower) and had a visit to the vet at 3 days old. She was disbudded and her upper and lower eyelids were injected with penicillin, though that didn't seem to do the job, so we've been working on it every day to get it straightened out. I checked this morning and it seems my daily manipulation of the eyelid is working. The vet did tell me this can be genetic, so I'll have to watch for it in any kids she has in the future, but I'm definitely keeping this doeling. I had so hoped Barbie would give me at least one doeling, and that's exactly what I got - 1 kid - a doeling :)

1700_destinys_cam_009-1.jpg

gingit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Simply beautiful. Congrats!