Rabbit Waste Seperation

anthonyjames

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a good method of separating pee from poo. I moved my rabbits indoors because my chickens started getting unruly and pecking at their feet. They would just to the bottom of the cage which was 3ft off the ground.

So I moved my rabbit flock into my detached garage and I am building racks to set them up 2 high and 6 long. But since I have had 6 rabbits inside for a week I noticed the build up of poo. Didn't really notice it outside because the chickens were scratching everything out as planned. Well now I want to collect the poo from the pans and try to sell and use in my garden. My rabbits do pee a lot as well. How do people out there split it out or pour/drain it out?

images or ideas greatly appreciated.

noobiechickenlady

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't separate mine (newbie rabbit owner) but window screen over a basin would work. The liquid would pour right through but the pellets would stay on top. Then just rake them off into a container.

What I don't know is if there is a reason to separate? I guess for selling, but what about what is used in the garden?
:pop

chinbunny1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't drain it. I take it out to the garden and dump it pee, wood shavings, and all. It will filter itself out naturally. Just dump it and rototill it in.

kelsystar

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've never had a problem just dumping everything on my garden.

Screening the poo seems too labor intensive. If you're really concerned, you could mix in a little garden lime to counteract the acidity of the urine.

Wolf-Kim

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Waste seperation would be good for worm bins. Although the manure isn't hot, the urine is very hot and will often 'burn' the worms.

I found this out the hard way on my first worm bin which was almost 100% week or two old rabbit waste from under the cages. The worms died almost instantly. Woops.