rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess I should update on the rest of things.

DH is doing well with his commute. He does have to drive 20-25 minutes to the Shady Grove metro, but then he opens his laptop and works in his seat for an hour. Then he works in office for about an hour. And then he turns around and rides the metro home. Occasionally he has in person meetings. On those days that's the only time it makes sense for him to do what he does. It's kind of an unnecessary dance for upper management, but it pays the bills and he thinks it's just fine. (I have fun pics somewhere, hang on)

The kids have stopped crying or in the case of Shaun trying to run away to Tennessee. They're enjoying their nice cool basement full of their stuff and each other's company.

We couldn't get a lawyer to return our calls. I guess they were all too busy for a small potatoes case. So we were only able to keep $600 of the nasty seller's deposit for the squalid barn. That will cover power washing. The power washer knows someone who does electric fence. I'd like to get my poly wire I strung up replaced with low tensile electric wire and some fencing changed in the buck barn and pasture "A" so we may use his connection. I don't know how to run low tensile wire and I'd rather learn on a garden area than a high stakes goat pasture.

Pasture B where the does are is not totally spent yet but is getting picked over and we're not getting enough rain to grow it. When I get to moving the goats my plan is to scalp what is there with my lawn tractor and seed it as the rain we supposedly get in the fall comes in. Everything is getting kind of crispy.

But the goats appear to have enough and everyone seems stable. I've switched them to ADM 16% Dairy goat power and co-op buck food for the Jr and senior bucks. I noticed one doe has some kind of upper respiratory thing and has thick white eye discharge and rubbed irritated eyes but isn't acting off, so I will watch her an make sure things improve over the next few days. (I may also bring her in for a temperature check when it's not a million degrees out throwing her potential temp off) They did get transported and even though they were not exposed to others the trailer probably had germs on it.

With the high humidity and high temps our production is tanking.
Mini saanens Iris and her mastitis...she seemed to clear it, but I'm not sure she's really clear of it. Her SCC was in the mid three thousands at this last test. I have decided to try to dry her off so yesterday she got tomorrow and nuskin liquid bandage on the orifices.
Lamancha Hera also had an elevated SCC this round and her production is under 4 lbs/day so I'm going to try to dry her off as well and she also got dry treated.
FF Lamancha Dot has a normal SCC, but she's producing only about as much as Hera so I'm on the fence on wether to dry her off. A 2x daily working udder is a healthy udder, but she could take those calories and put it towards growing and on her back if her DNA allows (she's small). I'm open to suggestions there. For now she's in milk.
Mini Saanen Snowflake and Lamanchas Summer and Emmi are making more than a gallon per day still, so if anyone gets dry it won't be them.

After Bailey's death I've decided to always have my phone on me and before I do more pasture fencing I'm going to mow along the fence line so I can see where I walk since apparently we have more copperheads here than we did in Tennessee. The barn cats are quickly working on the rodents that are here and are enjoying decorating the yard with dead things and rabbit vomit...soooo, less snake food. We probably didn't have snakes in Tennessee because the doomed feral cat colony my drug dealer neighbor was feeding were eating all the rodents they could as they tried (unsuccessfully) to stay alive. Most of the shelters here have a kick wall too, leaving a big gap that snakes can inhabit. We had nothing like that in TN.

So that's us at the moment. So much sweaty, so little time without the heat (heat advisory every morning!).

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
4c5b660e-25db-4373-9e9d-506b0bbd376a-1_all_19199.jpg

A picture in the metro.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Possibly. It's normal 16% protein goat feed. I blamed it on the alfalfa for a while. That's been taken out of the equation. (Soy=protein usually, right?)
It's like they hit maturity and start trying to milk just like their daughters are programmed to do.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe I should see what else I can do for them to keep them bulked up. When rut really hits I cut the grain down and put constant alfalfa pellets in front of them to prevent Pete from refusing to eat until grain time and wasting away (force him to eat his vegetables in compact form). I may see if doing that long term instead of just in rut is any less dairy inspiring. They don't need half an udder developing on each side of their manly duffel bags. I think there are a few other options I could try as well like straight oats but I'd need to mix it with alfalfa pellets or hay to balance that calcium phosphorus ratio.