rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have an appointment on Thursday to see a female puppy that's been described as "content, calm and responsible". Her sister is aloof and independent, but I'd prefer a calmer dog, less likely to be a patroller in our small pasture setting. I know Riker and I need a second dog but I'm still trying to decide if I'm ready to bring on another white floof and look her in the face again after losing Bailey. Riker looks little like Bailey, but I still feel emotional when I look at him squarely. I may cancel the appointment and let the puppy go to someone else if I can't stop seeing Bailey when I look at Pyrenees. (and it's not just me, in TSC someone was walking a big male pyr through the store and my three year old tried to run up to him because "IT'S BAILEY!" and he hadn't seen her in so long...that was hard to explain on his level)

Riker has started becoming jealous of the goats and has begun asking to take their ear rubs as his own and yesterday I got to teach him how to get a tummy rub, and of course I stopped before he wanted me to so he followed me to the gate and I left him wanting more and remembering physical touch as a positive thing he wants rather than something forced on him.

So I guess I'm not sure. Hold off and keep giving Riker a slow chance to bond to me as the snack and tummy rubs lady or start the long process of training another puppy.

I kind of think I should wait a little longer.
The issue I have with getting an adult is that a lot of available adult lgd are roamers and people get rid of them for that reason-or they mutilate sheep/goats. And they're few and far in between. Riker is a follower and he's ripe for developing bad habits.
I'm leaning towards cancelling. I'm not ready yet.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have an appointment on Thursday to see a female puppy that's been described as "content, calm and responsible". Her sister is aloof and independent, but I'd prefer a calmer dog, less likely to be a patroller in our small pasture setting. I know Riker and I need a second dog but I'm still trying to decide if I'm ready to bring on another white floof and look her in the face again after losing Bailey. Riker looks little like Bailey, but I still feel emotional when I look at him squarely. I may cancel the appointment and let the puppy go to someone else if I can't stop seeing Bailey when I look at Pyrenees. (and it's not just me, in TSC someone was walking a big male pyr through the store and my three year old tried to run up to him because "IT'S BAILEY!" and he hadn't seen her in so long...that was hard to explain on his level)

Riker has started becoming jealous of the goats and has begun asking to take their ear rubs as his own and yesterday I got to teach him how to get a tummy rub, and of course I stopped before he wanted me to so he followed me to the gate and I left him wanting more and remembering physical touch as a positive thing he wants rather than something forced on him.

So I guess I'm not sure. Hold off and keep giving Riker a slow chance to bond to me as the snack and tummy rubs lady or start the long process of training another puppy.

I kind of think I should wait a little longer.
The issue I have with getting an adult is that a lot of available adult lgd are roamers and people get rid of them for that reason-or they mutilate sheep/goats. And they're few and far in between. Riker is a follower and he's ripe for developing bad habits.
I'm leaning towards cancelling. I'm not ready yet.
Understand - but look at it this was - the pup is a gift from Bailey - or Bailey layed the path for the new pup.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's always a big decision to take on the responsibility & challenges of any dog but, LGD even more. Beyond the emotional of losing Bailey, there's the training "needs" on top of the many "move" issues -- physically & emotionally, you and your kids, plus animals needed.

Yeah this is a heavy decision. But, so far it seems you've done GREAT with sourcing needs and making some friends. 🥰. Even a milk(er) friend 🤣 that's an amazing find.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old is the puppy? Is Riker reliable as a training partner?
This litter will be 4 months old and has been in with mom, dad, a goat herd, and poultry. They'll be a decent size when coyote breeding season starts.
Riker will probably not be dominant enough to train well. The puppy may be in charge from day one if I just left them together. I may treat the puppy like we're starting at square one at first as if we had no other LGD until I know he won't be a big pushover.
I didn't cancel yet. I keep going back and forth.