rachels.haven's Journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
With Pyrs you need to make sure your fences are excellent condition, tall (7-8') and dig proof. Hot wires around the top and bottom from the start would be best for puppy training.

Starting with a puppy where you can train it yourself is a good idea. Anything much older than 4 months that has not had good starter training has already developed bad habits. A lot of people think by getting an older dog they can avoid bad puppy behavior but that is not true. If the bad puppy behavior was not already stopped with proper training, the oder dog or puppy will be a problem. Better to train the dog yourself from puppyhood. Just be sure you can recognize puppy behavior for what it is and don't punish the wrong puppy behavior.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Riker was easy. He chased the goats maybe three times and all I had to do even if he was in the back of the pasture and I was in the front of our 6 acre place was hollar and he'd stop immediately and be mortified and kind of slink away (yet he was so far away I couldn't even SEE him very well, so what he was hearing couldn't have been very loud or intimidating). Everything else for him was natural, no corrections and he's very, very sensitive in addition to submissive. He didn't want to get out. Only once I let him out to see what would happen since our front area was totally fenced (big mistake, he was an uncatchable puppy)

Mark is out of town to see his eye doctor to get a form to get his license here. I used to buy a goat every time he went out of town. If I have to pull Shaun's butt off a barncat or off the probably snake infested woodpile or out of trees or off the top of my mini van again IDK what I'm going to do. Kid's a wild hooligan. The barnkittens induldge him and I've had to save them from being sat on or carried by the tail over and over and over (why you not scratch him?! you have razor blades on your toe beans!!! and faster than the speed of light!)
Tonight can not come fast enough. It's literally every few minutes I get to nix a bad idea and if I'm, say, taking a bathroom break, chaos ensues! The other kids are normal now. Thank goodness, because if there were three of these...

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Caught the feral thing with a bucket of water.
He swam in his undies and shirt and took random items with him and took 2/3 kittens for a nonconsensual swim for a while before peeing the mat and...well, Mark's on his way and I'll get a shower then. Chores got done. Dishes started. Laundry can wait. I'm going to sit right next to this little bean and make sure no more surprises happen.
He's got a lot of energy for "science" and probably a lot of extra frustrated energy that should be put into learning to socialize with kids his age. There's a lot around us as far as kids programs, but they intentionally make things exclusive to keep the dense city dwellers out and catch us in the ag reserve in that too.
"Having a G______burg zip code does NOT make you eligible for the G______burg community XYZ" is a common clause here. Thanks dudes. We'll find something eventually.
Photo edited shorts. Cause who needs to see dino undies?
1000004062.jpg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
In town he would probably be considered hyperactive. For us country people he is normal. LOL When DS3 broke his navicular bone (yes, people have one - it is in the thumb) I asked if he could resume normal activities with his cast. The doctor said "yes" thinking I meant TV and video games. When he found out I meant feeding horses, goats, cleaning stslls etc. he was shocked. DS3 went home and bragged to his siblings that he was not allowed to do any chores. Sadly for him, we arrangd things so he could do some of his normal chores. LOL

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
He does not like TV. That probably matters. He loves going outside and life and experimenting. Watching, experimenting, and feeling everything. Getting dirty. He's semi normal from 40+ years ago. (Sitting on cats has to stop.)

Mark's home. The Feral Heathen child is still a mess.

I found a bat in the barn stuck to my giant fly paper in the empty barn at goat and three year old level. I cut the bat out and stuck it in a brightly colored small animal cage we have so I could milk the goats. After chores I came back to the cage and dissolved the fly paper glue with 12 ml of cheap olive oil dribbled around the bat and the bat worked itself off the paper but would not come out of the cage. I was worried Shaun would come and handle and get bit or the cats would get it and drag it around until Shaun found them and then handled them and the bat and got bit by the bat since he WOULD so I put on a thick leather glove and grabbed the bat so I could throw it out. It bit through the glove and got me. So last night and early this morning I got treated for rabies exposure even though there's a good chance the bat was fine and just did not like being treated like a salad and then manhandled because cost of being incorrect is too high.

Since I've gotten my butt handed to me can I go home now?

I kind of like the idea of celebrating Mark's return by buying a goat better. This was not fun and going to be very expensive.

I hired someone to come and brush hog the barnyard and pasture next weekend. I'd like to celebrate that by not needing to go back to the Er for snake bite or stitches or bee stings something.