rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I discovered yesterday that at grocery store Giant, the price of lamb is lower than even the cheapest current price of beef. I guess we're switching to lamb until the beef market turns right side up again or until the lamb price per pound goes up. It's more tender anyway. Feels really backwards, but I guess we can do that.

fuzzi

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I discovered yesterday that at grocery store Giant, the price of lamb is lower than even the cheapest current price of beef. I guess we're switching to lamb until the beef market turns right side up again or until the lamb price per pound goes up. It's more tender anyway. Feels really backwards, but I guess we can do that.
I love lamb. We used to have lamb chops on occasion when I was a kid. Not in decades, though.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you ever have wethers slaughtered for meat?
Usually lamb is way higher than beef.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes. We've shipped wethers to the processor and I am excited to do it again. I had a doe get bi lateral mastitis that wouldn't go away while she was in milk that I got to survive dry off and I left her open and I'm booking her for their next available spot, as sad as that is.

This buck is driving me crazy. He seems to look different every time I look at him so I've been taking lots of pics (to try and feel less crazy)
1000004278.jpg

He's still too long from knee to hock, but I feel like he's changing...and I also feel like he crouches down and stands with his hocks together when he's paying attention to me when I'm in the pen ready to run and with his legs only a little bit close like in the above or spaced naturally it lines him up differently.
Pete has become so rowdy in the last week I'm not looking forward to spending money on more future chaotic energy, so I'm considering just using Aramis when the time comes. A buck like Pete, as tall as I am when he's on all fours strutting, jumping into the air and spinning, ramming the other boys and considering courting me...too much (he's got a collar now and a loose scur that if I tap it he suddenly decides to go away for a few minutes that I've used a few times).
The heats this year have been weird too. The natural cycling just now started, and they've been short, quiet heats and I kind of wonder if its making the bucks extra desperate.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd better start shipping and growing out some goats. The lamb was $8/lbs but beef around here tends to be $10/lbs and up. We eat a lot of stew lately.

Latest posts