Rescue goat hoof issues! HELP!

Teeah3612

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay, I know you all want to know about Mr. Buttons. Well, we took him to a different vet. (The one where we used to live!) Dr. Marshall cut off the cast like thing. We think it was a mix of bandage and some sort of skin/scar like tissue. There was actually hair starting to grow on part of it. There is no obvious flesh under it, but some sort of bony growth. Dr. M was able to trim his hooves some for me. They are very deformed because of the way he walks. He has no movement in his knee joints. Dr. M had to use horse nippers to trim them. He showed me everything he was doing so that I can get nippers and do it at home. He doesn't believe they will ever grow anywhere near normal.

Oh, there is blood flow to through the bony leg material, but not real good flow. We know this because it bled alittle in one area when Dr. M cut the cast thingy off. We put Buttons on pencillin because he had some swelling in the foot. All the vet techs in the office came out to watch the removal of the cast thingy. No one has ever seen anything like this.

Mr. Buttons was very good throughout the whole procedure. He just layed there with his eyes closed. He only hollared once and that was when they were making him lay down. As soon as we opened the stall he headed outside and straight for the truck. I don't think he wanted to give us time to do anything else.

Hopefully this will help his leg to heal in a little more natural way.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Glad that you were able to get that cast off. Hopefully he will be able to live a decent life now. At least you are giving the best chance possible for a halfway normal, pain free life. It really was great that you took him in.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! I'm glad you took him to a different vet!! And now he's got a chance to heal and hopefully live a much better life than he had before! Be sure to keep updating us. :D

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. He's sure a lucky goat, now... :D

JustKiddin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I too had been wondering about this guy... thanks for the up date.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the update. Can you post pictures so we can see how he looks now. This is a great way for us to learn what we can do for any animals that we rescue.

BTW, when I got my doe, Mama, her hooves were badly deformed from neglect. They have taken almost 3 years, of patient trimming, but they look almost normal now. Her legs have stopped making funny noises when she walks and she is doing GREAT!

Keep at it and you would be surprised how much you can do with some careful and patient work. Also you can ask a farrier to take a look at his hooves and get some advice or an experienced hoof trimmer. AND an angle grinder or dremel tool can do wonders for overgrowth. Just be careful and work at it slowly.