Rescue goat hoof issues! HELP!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
But I'm thinking there has to be SOME tissue under the bone, seeing as how the tissue and hoof underneath appear to have blood flow. If the cast had completely cut off all tissue under it, then the foot below would have become necrotic and sloughed off. At least that's what I'm thinking.

Heck, I bet the goat would even do ok if he had a front leg amputated, if Teeah wants to go that route.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that he has more tissue loss on the front of his leg as opposed to the back of it, where the major blood vessels will lie at the area of the cast. I'm just amazed the vet didn't at least pop that cast and take a look....if he didn't think the area could bear being exposed, he could have affixed a new protective cast, couldn't he? :hu

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm willing to bet that he has more tissue loss on the front of his leg as opposed to the back of it, where the major blood vessels will lie at the area of the cast. I'm just amazed the vet didn't at least pop that cast and take a look....if he didn't think the area could bear being exposed, he could have affixed a new protective cast, couldn't he? :hu
that's what I'm thinking too.
and amputate - that's possible too, but it might depend on the health of the other leg - I'd want to wait until the other front hoof is in better shape if that's possible. putting all his weight on one front leg is going to be hard on the healing hoof. I don't know about goats, but horses carry 70% or so of their weight on the front legs goats, maybe a bit less, but still it'll be a challenge to the hoof.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
It's hard to not judge the vet not knowing what all went on, but I am just really disappointed to hear a vet say they couldn't take off the cast and only keep him comfy until it gets infected and they have to put him down. Yikes. I just don't know. Maybe the vet doesn't think the goat is worth the time/money, or who knows what.

I would take the chance and remove the cast, because it's pretty obvious it's on their way too tightly. I'd do my best to keep it clean and help it heal, and then the goat at least has a chance! It's no life for a goat to have an awful cast on his leg all the time. If it really is that bad, and he doesn't make it, at least he had a shot.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I think I would find a different vet and get a second opinion.
Agreed, x100.

"Leather booties" for his hooves?! ReAlLy? I've *personally* trimmed goat hooves (for the record, not *my* goats!) that were like 6" long. Seriously. At least. I had to clip off huge sections with horse hoof nippers until I got down to the pad and hoof wall that was soft enough to trim, and even that was a good 3" from the top of the foot. I trimmed that particular goat until it passed out either from pain or blood loss.. I know that sounds horrible, but I was so focused on getting it done that I think I kinda sorta forgot I was working on a live, conscious animal and the daggone poor thing went limp and about fell out of the stand.. I seriously thought she died...had to go smack her to make sure she was still with us.

Yes, it's awful that I did that.. I know, I know.. And no, I wouldn't have done it under most *normal* circumstances.. But when I was done, the goat got its bearings back, jumped down and just sorta tiptoed a bit like 'Ah! Oh! Eeh!"....and then went STRAIGHT to the feed pan. She was high-stepping like she till had her 'old shoes' on (which was frankly comical, I have to say), and I'm sure she was sore for a few days, but the job got done and she was better for it..

Which is why I say again...LEATHER BOOTIES!? Jeez o pete.. :/

And don't get me started on the idea that that goat's still living with "nothing but bone" under the cast.. I wish I could ask that vet how blood was being pumped through the area under the cast if there was no tissue there, considering the foot hadn't rotted off yet?! No skin means no veins...no veins means no blood...no blood means no life. If the foot's ALIVE, then there IS more than bone under that cast.

That vet sounds really stupid. Sorry. :old :rant :somad :duc

Edit: I wrote the blood flow thing before seeing that pretty much everybody had already come to that same conclusion.. :lol: Good to know I'm on the same page as everyone else for once! :gig :lol:

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I can't imagine that cast is comfortable on his leg, no wonder he is trying to chew it off. I would take the cast off and try to heal it, or euthanize him, I wouldn't leave him like that. I am shocked that a vet would leave that on.

Teeah3612

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mr. Buttons is still running around and eating like a horse. We are doctoring the hooves as best we can. He has lost a little weight, but he was overweight to begin with, so that is a good thing. Did I mention his diet consisted of dog food when I picked him up? He and Peanut are still getting along fine and mob whoever feeds them.

Last night we were outside burning some brush around feeding time and they got so loud my son was like "Mom, Can you go feed those goats!?" They think if they can see you that you should come over and pet them.