Rosie's kidding thread!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw that other ND breeders were posting much smaller weights than mine, but I use a new kitchen scale that only goes up to like 6 lbs so it should be accurate. My 3 1/2 lb babies were my quads.....

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've had singles over 5lbs. We've had quads that ranged from 2-2oz, to 3-10 oz.

nigerianbreeder

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When you had the five pounders how did those turn out? I take it the birthing was difficult?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
nigerianbreeder said:
When you had the five pounders how did those turn out? I take it the birthing was difficult?
No they plopped it right out. Generally speaking as long as they are presenting correctly, there isn't a problem.

The issue can sometimes be if you have two that are larger and they get crowded in the womb, they may not present properly.

Or multiples, even if they are smaller.

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Congrats! He's so cute :D I had a single doeling born in June that was a little over 4 pounds at birth. I've heard that singles generally run larger since they are getting all the nutrients.

nigerianbreeder

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well Rose pretty much summed it all up for me. I went out this morning to milk and I only got a touch over an ounce of milk. Plus not to mention she refuses to eat on the milk stand plus in order to keep her from "dancing" I had to tie her back legs down. I am going to sell her and her baby as soon as I get the service memo from the breeder and keep him all up to date on everything. I know that it wasn't just me not being able to milk either. I have been milking Heidi for a couple days now and got a pint the one day (could have gotten more but she was being fidgety).

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like your decision is made, but I just want to mention that if she won't relax enough to eat or stop dancing, she's not relaxed enough to 'let down' her milk. I have one doe that it took over a month of twice daily trips to the milk stand before she would relax enough to eat. After that it took another week or so until she would relax enough to let down her milk. Until then, I was milking about a cup out of her twice a day and she's a big ol Nubian. Now that she's finally relaxed - I get almost a gallon.

Some of them just take longer.... sigh....

nigerianbreeder

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well when the lady comes over to disbud and tattoo I'll have them both on twelve hours full. That way she can help show me anything I can do to help this situation out.