Rough day....Doodle update, page 7

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Hillary, one of my Nubian does...is sick.

Doodle, her half-sister and my favorite Nubian, is having issues.

I've got a couple of kids w/ the poops. Not a big deal itself, just an added hassle to a stressful day.

And...my patagonian Cavy (pet, looks like a giant rabbit) nearly cut his leg off this afternoon.

I think Hillary's issue is either parasites or an unknown / unseen injury. No fever, poop is fine, losing weight and weak in her back end...I'm scared it's meningeal worm. Treated for worms and giving supportive care....vet says that's about all I can do at this point. Tested CAE neg. in 2010.

I actually called the vet today to see if they'd remove Doodle's udder. Long story short, the vet came to do a biopsy on a suspicious lump and poked the needle through the lump and into one half of her udder...the lump turned out to be CL so...yeah, now her udder is producing CL pus.
The cost / risks are too great to remove the udder while she's in milk so....I asked him to come put her down.

Then I broke down and called him back and told him not to.

We're going to try to dry her off and remove it then. I didn't want to deal w/ it...but I can't put her down either. :barnie

The cavy's on antibiotics, the kids are clearing up, I feel better now that I've decided to not put Doodle down, but now I will worry if I made the right decision...and I'm still worried about Hillary.

Guess it was my turn to have a bad animal day.:(

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:(

I'm sorry your day wasn't as good as it could have been. I hope it gets better!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
:hit :hugs :hugs

So sorry about Hillary and Doodle. That stinks. I hope Hillary gets better for you and you can dry off Doodle. Understand about not being able to put her down.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:hugs Im sorry...Now thats what I call a full plate...jezz Im sorry about Doodle...thats tough...and everyone else too...

Hope things get better soon for all.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sounds like a good night to make some fudge... :hugs :hugs

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Aww, shoot. :hugs

Why do you need to remove her udder? Won't it heal up? (Newbie question....) Ugh. Poor thing.