SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok so who is dog #5?
Lumen! She is 11, and hell on wheels on sheep. 🤣
IMG_1934.jpeg

Here's the pack - left to right -- Zo, Twinnie, Obi, Ree, Halo (RIP -Tervuren, detection dog), and Lumen
Here's a pic of Lumen.....

_DSC0849.jpg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would working out in the pastures with Obi help Ree build confidence or would she let him do most of the work and hang back? Sometimes older confident dogs can be a good model for youngsters.
I ~don't think so. She has the confidence to work, it's when things get tough - rather than go behind she will turn in front of the sheep. That seems to be her default. Taking them out of a stall she will choose to flank in front of them. I worked and worked with her on it, all upbeat, gentle hand on collar even, walking beside her for months and she still defaults to the flank in front. Last year Obi broke a toe (veterinary nightmare - 😡 - should have been easy peasy but got fleeced by the vet --was trying a new vet for us since old one is 1 1/2 hrs away) so Ree was on point, had to do all the work sorting, moving to arenas for lessons, etc. Everything except grazing -it was the time of year when it's all brown, foxtails were sharp and rattlesnakes were out.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we've finally pulled it from you! 😂. I notice that Obi has his own distinct "wild, old man unshaven" doo going on. 👍😁. Ree & Lumen look more thick, slightly curled. That's a lovely group, a real full house. Twinne could pass for GS.

One day, we'll see them again.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we've finally pulled it from you! 😂. I notice that Obi has his own distinct "wild, old man unshaven" doo going on. 👍😁. Ree & Lumen look more thick, slightly curled. That's a lovely group, a real full house. Twinne could pass for GS.

One day, we'll see them again.
A little shaming goes a long way! 🤣 -- though it did point out that I don't have that many current photos of Lumen. Poor sweet girl. I seriously need to get my real cameras out and set up a photo shoot with the pack.
Yeah - Obi has his own look. Not perfect for the conformation ring, but I'd put him up against any of those dogs when it comes to working. Zo looks much more like they should, though both are acceptable. But we all know how any judging goes! 🤣🤣:lol: - dogs, sheep, goats, horses - it's all the same.

Latest posts