SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are things of beauty. New pastures all done. YAY.
Though one area looks a tad bit like Jurassic Park. They cut down below the "road" level about 12 inches. Rocks and other things to be able to get that line in. That of course made the 5ft fencing more like 3 1/2 to 4 ft high from the roadside. Too inviting for trouble so we switched to 10 ft t-posts and added height --
IMG_7135.JPEG

LOVE IT. :lol: wish they were all that high (HIGH $$$$,,, then ummm nope).
This is what the seam looks like up close
IMG_7137.JPEG

Where fencing rolls ended the fencing was spliced (?) together (something I never thought of, glad we've got good guys doing this).....
IMG_7138.JPEG

Started this morning putting the lambs in the west pasture ... in ya' go lambies!
IMG_7144.JPEG

On the way there poor Obi going through some small brush yiped. OHHHH NOOOO. Came up on 3 legs. :oops: I checked all over then and several times since and nothing. I think he just tweaked something. He's fine now. Since the snake bite he is a bit gun shy - which is fine by me. Of course when he reacts I guess I'm a bit gun shy as well.
After I finished with my herding person Obi and I took the ewes and the ram to the east pasture with no problems.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
These guys are good, no they're not, they are excellent. And very fair and never take the short cut way. Always the do it right way. We've had them before - our builder told us about them. Actually it's one guy and he has his crew. We are blessed to be able to have good workers we can trust. :)

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been a bit - time to do a little catch up on the journal.
Let's see catching up - I don't think I posted that DH remodeled the chicken coop. SOOoooo here's the finished remodel --- (I wish I had a before pic) it's more than twice the size and has nice nest boxes instead of the temporary one on the ground. The difference in colors of the wood frames are from the old coop. Frame panels for the hardware cloth are screwed together.
IMG_7226.JPEG

Ah, the lambs. They are teenage hooligans! Always getting into trouble. Like - jump in the bunk feeders, tip buckets, move the bunk feeders in their night stall, untying shoes, nibbling on shirts, and charging back to the barn when it's time to move them back from one of the new pastures at the end of the day. Because of the heat (and I admit I'm gun-shy after his rattlesnake encounter) I keep Obi from preventing the "escape". Though the other day I "spent" a flake of hay and scattered it in several mounds on the path back. It worked to stop the "escape" and keep things controlled.
The hooligans getting more hooligan advice from a rowdy local.
IMG_7020.JPEG

The ram has been back with the ladies, it's about time to move him back to bachelor status.
IMG_6981.JPEG

There's just something peaceful watching them chow down.
IMG_7091.JPEG

Annnnd that volunteer squash plant (well there are two) that is in the turnout area is producing I don't know
what kind of squash. I need to cut into this one to have a look-see. Granted I gave the sheep a lot of squash from the garden, but none of them looked like this. That's the plant it's from in the background - bush-like like a zucchini, not a vining type.
IMG_7190.JPEG

And on a I think this brings the journal up to date mode,
Ree turned 6 on be birthday July 3, and Zo "gave" her a birthday present of probably several million swimmers.
Puppies (maybe) in Sept. I gave her a squeeky toy :) and a chew bone.
It's summer, it's hot, stay cool.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Finnie ---- Oh geeze I just saw your question -- yikes -- sorry for the huge delay.
The coop latch is just a simple latch - the latch works great - had the same type of latch on our old coop.
Here's the sccop and a pic - I added a string that goes to the inside of the coop in case I (or anyone) goes in the coop, the door closes and latches. There'd be no way out :lol: . That little string has earned a gold star for usefulness!
IMG_7314.JPEG