Scary Times

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here hay has actaullly gone down in price recently! This past summer people were gettting $8/bale (grass/mix hay) average Now I'm seeing it for $4-5/bale...

Some places were only in bad drought in June and then we got enough rain that people were able to get more hay later in the season. It was very random who got rain though.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
promiseacres said:
Here hay has actaullly gone down in price recently! This past summer people were gettting $8/bale (grass/mix hay) average Now I'm seeing it for $4-5/bale...

Some places were only in bad drought in June and then we got enough rain that people were able to get more hay later in the season. It was very random who got rain though.
Wish I knew where you were shopping, LOL! We are in the same region and I have not seen any price drops and have run across a few ads from people even trying to sell moldy hay for people wanting better prices.

How many lbs are these $17-20 bales? I have heard that California bales are larger than what we buy. The stuff I get is a 2nd/3rd cutting blend too not just alfalfa.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We got very lucky. We were dry through early July but then the rain picked up. Plenty of hay around here. You go 50 miles in any direction and the price doubles. We paid $3 a bale for grass, $4 for alfalfa. They are smaller bales, the grass is about 40 lbs and the alfalfa about 50 lbs.

I hauled a load to my work for a coworker. I live 50 mile south of work, he live 20 miles north and it was worth gas. It still was half what he was paying.

We are very grateful and have all of you in our thoughts. It will be a rough winter.

As far as the taxes, we pay no sales tax on anything for "food or fiber" animals. Horses don't count- not a food or fiber animal. This is Kentucky! You woudl think they would have an exemption for horses in Kentucky. I have to pay tax on the alfalfa pellets, they classify it "horse food".

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Here in NC we had a record rain year and the hay crop was one for the books. One of the best overall crop years in NC for many, many years.

We actually still had a few green pastures up until mid Dec here.

We pay 25$ for a 900 pound round bale of pretty nice grass hay and 2.50$ a bale for ok to slightly better than avg grass hay and the bales prob weigh about 80 pounds. Sometimes more and a few less.

Bitterroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've seen those ads on craigslist, Sky. I was sorely tempted on one of the cow loans, but know I don't have enough hay put up for anything but the animals I currently have. A few months ago, it was hay ad after hay ad. I bought more than I needed at $7 a bale, and am thankful I did because those who waited to see if prices would go down are now scrambling to find anything. If you're going to buy some pelleted/cubed feed to help you get through I'd grab that now too while it's around before that disappears as well.

Good luck, stay warm!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
pridegoethb4thefall said:
Siiiigghhh.... You guys, do you know what a bale of good alfalfa hay goes for here in Nor Cal??? 19.99 a bale!!!! Yup, its rough. You can buy stemmy alfalfa (2nd cut) for 17.99, but the goats don't eat it as much, so its a waste. Very hard to find it for less, unless you buy it off CL strangers, or from the feed store in bulk (and then you only get about a dollar off per bale, and they charge you 39-60 bucks if you need delivery)

Although, the bales average 100-115 pounds each, they have been getting lighter, some only 90-95 pounds. And for some reason, ALOT of people are switching to grass hay, so what used to be the cheaper alternative at 14-15 bucks, has shot up to 20-23 bucks a bale. Flakes are lighter and thinner too. Prices stay the same all year round too, even with lots of competition around between stores.

People are even buying the cheap stock hay for cows that they KNOW has been wet and probably has mold. Its so bad...
X2. Here is Southern California too. Sigh. :he

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
pridegoethb4thefall said:
Speaking of taxes... I did forget to mention that over here, if we are buying hay for 'livestock', we do not have to pay sales tax on the hay. BUT, if we buy hay for HORSES, we DO have to pay the sales tax. No tax for cattle hay, goat, sheep or swine hay, but once they know its for horses, you pay tax.

Is it like that for anyone else, and do you know why?
Montana has no sales tax.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bitterroot said:
I've seen those ads on craigslist, Sky. I was sorely tempted on one of the cow loans, but know I don't have enough hay put up for anything but the animals I currently have. A few months ago, it was hay ad after hay ad. I bought more than I needed at $7 a bale, and am thankful I did because those who waited to see if prices would go down are now scrambling to find anything. If you're going to buy some pelleted/cubed feed to help you get through I'd grab that now too while it's around before that disappears as well.

Good luck, stay warm!
Yeah, I hear you. I got as much hay as I could store from a source that I've bought hay from before. He doesn't gouge and if he has hay, he'll sell it to me. I've got enough hay for the critters for at least two to three months, but after that, life could prove interesting. Still, I'm going to fence part of the land below the paddocks and make it a goat grazing area. I may do electric fence for the horses too so they can get some grazing/browse when spring hits.

$7/bale is pricey. I honestly don't know how anyone pays for it. How has it been in the Bitterroot? We've been chilly and have gotten more than 12 inches with the last snowfall.

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i could only dream to get hay at 7 dollars a bale.....my alfalfa is 14.00 a bale..i could get low quality coastal cheaper but my goats won't eat it..i look on CL daily hoping to come across a good deal that will deliver...passed one up a couple of months ago that i wish now i had taken...luckily i only go through about 2 bales a week and try to always have 2 or 3 bales on hand.....if we don't get some rain in northern texas hay is gonna be outrageous next year..

Bitterroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
SkyWarrior said:
Yeah, I hear you. I got as much hay as I could store from a source that I've bought hay from before. He doesn't gouge and if he has hay, he'll sell it to me. I've got enough hay for the critters for at least two to three months, but after that, life could prove interesting. Still, I'm going to fence part of the land below the paddocks and make it a goat grazing area. I may do electric fence for the horses too so they can get some grazing/browse when spring hits.

$7/bale is pricey. I honestly don't know how anyone pays for it. How has it been in the Bitterroot? We've been chilly and have gotten more than 12 inches with the last snowfall.
If it were bigger animals no way would I pay that much. This is a timmy/meadow mix for the rabbits only, too good for bigger stuff. If I have any left over, it's yours for the taking. Might only be six bales or so, but I figure every little bit helps and that's why I bought extra. I'm hoping to get in early on some Potomac valley timmy this year for them.

It's been okay down in the valley. Got down to right around zero or less a few nights ago and our furnace ran nonstop to keep up. That sort of cold is scary for any length of time. Dumped about a foot of snow on us a couple days ago, but today it's starting to melt. I don't know about you, but this gal's ready for SPRING!