Scottish Blackface

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Both....The famous Harris and Donegal tweeds are/were made from scottish Blackface wool...and they have a very lean, tasty meat...not large carcasses....but good size for the average family.....here is a photo of "Irish Acres Highland Orion"...a senior ram
3034_sheeppics_007.jpg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love their colors and patterns! Are they pretty docile? Those horns look beautiful but lethal. Is there a market for their horns when the rams are retired? Do you sell whole skins/fleeces of your processed lambs?

I just love lookin' at 'em!!! :)

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks Beekissed.....They are pretty gentle...mine are anyway....I think it is how they are raised...I know that I got into a heated,verbal battle with a sheep lady from Michigan State University....she had said (having NEVER raised the breed)....that Scottish Blackface sheep would rather go over you than around you....WRONG!!!! Some maybe....any animal could be like that....like children.....it's how they are raised. Mine are not ALL pets...some are more aloof than others... HORNS....some people use the horns as handles for home made shepherd's crooks.....
3034_sheeppics_015.jpg

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello....Just another photo....thought you might like to see a photo of three ram lambs.....the front lamb is being used as the herd sire in a larger flock here in the Midwest.
3034_sheep7172007_009.jpg

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Beautiful breed!!! I love the wool myself!! Being Irish, I do own some Donegal wool products!!! My grandparent would always bring gifts back when they went home to Ireland!!!

Very nice sheep!! And we all love pics. Although Im a dairy goat girl myself! Toggenbergs!! Being an avid knitter! I appreciate great wool!!

Nice looking flock!!

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks.....My mother's family is from Co. Donegal.....and my father's family comes from Co. Sligo.... I'm just an oversized Leprechaun...:)

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are from Gallway Co and Roscommon Co...Fishing and farming! In me blood for generations!!!

Be well! Enjoy!!

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok, so I have to check this thread everytime I see it. You are just going to have to send me one (or two...or a few) of those down here to NC.