Scouring calf? New at raising calf, need help

FarmLover

Just born
Reaction score
I like the basketball/beach ball idea, I will have to put one in there for him. Yeah he chews on the wood all around his been so I've been "calf proofing" the pen so he doesn't find something he shouldn't have. He doesn't really do much munching on it just tests things out.

Halter, yes, I tied one last night quick just to get something on his head/face so he will get use to it. If I don't get him going on it now I can see this calf being a little bugger to control as he is probably the most spunky calf I have seen. He is a lot of fun, him and I play and push each other around a little after the bottle.

One thing I have seen calves get in trouble with is plastic twine, plastic sheeting, etc. Plastic is a real bad thing in a calf's mouth/throat,stomach!

redtailgal

Reaction score
I had to help doctor a calf once that had eaten a pair of women's underwear off the lady's clothes line. :rolleyes:

It took several days and some serious pooping, but they finally came out. Strangely, that lady didnt want her underwear back! :hu

MrsKK

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm glad that calf came back for you. Once they start going downhill it can be a lot of work to get them turned around. You may want to get a jar of powdered probiotics and add them to his bottle, following label directions. It will help get the flora in his stomach going, which will help him get more nutrition from the hay and grain he is nibbling on.

Calves are a blast, aren't they? Do you have any pictures to share?

FarmLover

Just born
Reaction score
MrsKK said:
Calves are a blast, aren't they? Do you have any pictures to share?
05222012960.jpg