Shawnee kidded twin mahogany bucks :(

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Normally I am, too...she's technically due in 3 days and it's only supposed to get hotter. She has a fan...no ice blocks, though :lol:

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, you are going to have to find that balance between on time and having the heat drain her so much that she's too exhausted for a safe labor. Not an easy choice.

See if you can get her to put even 1 leg into a bucket of cool water. Should act similarly to a cool rag on a persons wrist.

I put gal jugs of water in the freezer and stick about 4 of them in the goat barn at the worst heat of the day to take the edge off. We have an overflow freezer that isn't always plugged in (it's for when we're expecting a whole cow before friends can come pick up their share, etc. I turned it on and started filling and freezing gal jugs about 2 weeks ago. Seems to take 2-3 days for a batch to freeze so I have 13/14 in there. Need to grab a couple more.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I settled for shaving her down....surely that helped...she had a heck of a thick coat, too.... I'll give the shot in the am as previously planned.

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok so the shot works in 24-48 hours? Just wondering I have never done it.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Yup, 24-48..... Last goat we gave it to (I think Big Mama) went 6-8 hours later though (she got it b/c she was getting borderline ketonic and was due any time), I think she was already in early labor anyhow.

I can't decide if I should give it to her this morning or tonight...ugh...decisions, decisions....

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
The deed is done.....shot's been given....now soon will commence the every 20 min. run to the barn b/c with the fans on I can't hear so well on the baby monitor.
There's a big note by the door to remind me to move the silkie roo out of that barn...so he doesn't crow me awake at 2:00 am. (He's confused)

The upshot is, w/ all this running in the heat, I'm bound to drop a few pounds, :lol:

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good luck I pray everything goes well for you. I think I will be loosing some more pounds today also.