Shetland lambs orphaned at 6 weeks

ricemt63

Just born
Reaction score
We lost a ewe yesterday which left two lambs orphaned at 6 weeks old. The lambs seem to be adjusting okay and are pleasantly plump at the moment but from what I've read, they will still need milk-replacer for the next 6 weeks or so. My challenge is that neither lamb will take a bottle. I've tried a couple of different nipples, with the formula made per instructions and warmed appropriately. I believe the problem is that they are eating enough grass that they aren't really hungry and the nipple and formula are different enough from what Mom offered that they aren't interested. Can anyone offer words of wisdom?

My list of pets include 9 Shetland sheep, 2 llamas and 10 chickens.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
We lost a ewe at about that same age. It took a couple days but they eventually decided they were indeed hungry enough. At six weeks I wouldn't be super worried. 8 weeks is ideal but they'll survive if they don't accept the bottle. I would keep at it for the next week and after that if they won't take it willingly leave them to it.

Sorry about your ewe! :hugs

CritterZone

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If the babies are eating grain, you can try top dressing their grain with the dry milk replacer. They will still get the nutrition, but you won't have to try to convince them to take a bottle.

ricemt63

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Thus far I've had limited success with a bottle. I will try top dressing their grain with the milk replacer. I'm also planning to weigh them occasionally just to make sure they're headed in the right direction.

ricemt63

Just born
Reaction score
Top dressing with dry milk replacer was a big hit! They actually licked the bowl clean. Thanks for the awesome tip.

I going to try adding a little water to make it easier for them to swallow.

-Mike

CritterZone

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ricemt63 said:
Top dressing with dry milk replacer was a big hit! They actually licked the bowl clean. Thanks for the awesome tip.

I going to try adding a little water to make it easier for them to swallow.

-Mike
Glad it worked! That stuff smells so good - at least the brand we use smells a lot like vanilla ice cream :)