Should I assist? HELP!!!

paynemom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Molly made it through the night, actually looks pretty good, but I am worried about infection. We used gloves, iodine, and a lubricant, plus disinfected our hands, but still. There was a lot of traumatic pushing and pulling. I am on my way to buy some antibiotics. What type are the best. Her vulva is super puffy and looks awful. It is so sad. What can we do to help her? She is eating today, which makes me feel better. She is also standing and sitting, not laying all the way down. She's not bleeding, but there is some drainage.

Also, should we not breed this doe anymore? Is she just too narrow boned? I don't ever want to have to do that again. :(

Peeka52

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How big was the buck you bred her to? If she lives and is healthy enough, next time you breed her you could use a really small buck.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Normally when you have to assist a ewe, you give them a round of Pen G. I imagine it's the same for goats.

paynemom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The buck is a pygmy too, pretty small. And I did buy the pen g and will that to her now. Thanks!

paynemom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She was a bit young. When I bought them we were told they were 6 months old, and that was 4 months ago. She was already bred. My does are separate from our buck here. She isn't super small, the size of our buck and her twin sister that kidded no problem, her pelvic bones were just so narrow. Will she still grow or is she stunted? I am wondering if I should ever let her breed again. I would never want that to happen to anyone again! I gave her a shot of pen g, hoping that helps. Is up and eating, don't know if she's drinking, won't do it in front of me. Back end is all puffed out and torn up. She is scared to death of me, rightly so. I have electrolytes in her water. Do you think she will be better next year, if she survives?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
She was young but with antibiotics and the good care you are giving, she will probably be okay. Her backside will likely look better in a week and I would bet she is sore.

As far as the effect on her size or on subsequent breeding, I am not sure really. If she were here, I'd probably keep her well feed with free choice hay and a daily ration of grain, plus minerals for at least six months and maybe longer and then reassess her. If she has grown to a healthy height and weight, she might be okay to breed again.

So sorry again that it ended like this---we had one last year that was in labor and pushing for awhile, not progressing, and we had the same thing happen (big big buckling, front legs back and not budging-he was gone by the time we got him out. My 8 year old son, who had helped to deliver the one before him, was absolutely crushed.) :hugs

paynemom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words. Are Pygmy's more prone to this because of their size. The little guy was almost 7 pounds! Molly herself only weighs about 45!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Pygmys do have problems sometimes due to their compact size (our stillborn was a pygmy and baby was almost 6 pounds! The doe was around 70-75 lbs and we bred her to a buck that was smaller than her).