Showing off my boys - new pic of Saturday @ 10 mos

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Let me see if I have this straight....The only reason to breed a Boer to a Dairy would be for the meat. So, if the kids were does, having been crossed with a meat breed would cause them to be poor milkers. Thus, they would be sold as meat despite they're being girls.
If I wanted to get a good milker out of a does kids I would breed her to another dairy breed buck, but if I wanted to sell the kids for meat I would breed the doe to a Boer. Right? :D
Sorry if I misunderstood anything. :)

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Nice meaty guys but where's the super hairy dude? :lol:

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
LJ - If you wanted to improve some crappy boer udders and milk production, you could do that by crossbreeding, and then breeding the doeling back to a boer...you increase the % of meat goat w/ ea. 'breed back', while hopefully keeping the improved udder / production in that line.

I've had many, many boer x nub does over the years that we milk...and intend to continue to do so.

Despite (most) boer breeders claiming Fullbood boers are the best...nearly all of them also have some crossbred / % does in their herd...there's a reason for it.
Fullbloods win shows, % does make good babies.

That's my opinion, based on real experience in our herd.

eta, Chandasue, what are you talking about?? Hairy dude?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Ohhh...I thought you meant my DH, :lol:

I'll try and get one of him...he's still a young fella, I'm dreading seeing him at his hairiest...his wives are the hairy ones.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Thanks guys...I think my boys are awesome.

Ariel....Foxy Gal is the thinnest, dairy-est doe I own...no depth, no width...just built like a rail...and she had no problem as an ff last year having her 1st kid or her 8.5 and 7.5# twins this year, all sired by Rider, a big boy.

Foxy will keep getting bred boer at least 1 or 2 more times, I'm loving the kids she makes. A friend of mine is aggravated, she wants a kid out of her, but she wants it pure Nubian....I told her I gotta get mine before she can get hers, lol.

I've had worse problems getting pure Obs out of an Ob doe or pygmies out of their moms, than I ever have getting a % Boer out of a dairy doe.

MCL, Bullitt came from Emmert Honey Creek Farms. GREAT people.
Thanks Roll, I have been concerned abotu breeding my LaMancha to my boer buck. I needed a dairy doe in milk last year for some orphans and a LaMancha was the only one I could find that wasn't a small fortune. I got her bred to a LaMancha buck this year (hope for pink :fl) but I didn't want to do that every year.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Bulitt is FABULOUS! What are you feeding him to make him grow that fast? Protien Shakes and Muscle Milk?

They are both just wonderfull looking boys. I can't wait to meet them.

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you very much Rolls for the answer.
There is certainly a lot more to breeding than I originally thought. :)
I think that the Nubian/Boer crossed babies are so cute. Good job on your herd. I have seen some photos of them over the fourm and they all look great. It is clear that you really know what your doing. :lol:

MidnightChickenLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I breed my Saanens to boers because we can only keep so many dairy as it is... My one Saanen isn't the best of quality.. but she produces great crosses. The crosses I find are better than what I've had with nubian crosses, but my does are also very large. The crosses aren't as heavy as the pure boers but they still grow quickly and are thicker. They get the length and the better udder structure from the Saanens and the width and muscling from the Boers. Friendliest things ever as well. :) I just hate sending my undwanted Saanen boys going to market... they don't have enough muscling on them, untill they are about 1 and then they are huge! lol