Sick lambs, Lost 2

Leigh Ann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, I have had minerals out from day one. They are specifically for sheep. I will put out baking soda also. I am getting stool samples to be checked by the vet.
I do keep Alfalfa hay out for them in a hay feeder in their stable. They have access to it 24/7, also minerals and now baking soda will be available. As I told @farmerjan last night, I am still concerned about one lamb. Fecal sample results will help me decide if she needs another worming. I really am trying to do what is best for them. I am following suggestions that you all have been so kind to suggest. I really appreciate all who are trying to help me keep my sheep alive and thriving. I realize by getting started with young sheep that they are more likely to have problems. These are to be my breed sheep and I am learning a lot from you all. Thank you.

Leigh Ann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Worm the one if you think it looks puny as you said. And the minerals, and baking soda like @Baymule suggested. Feed etc as normal. If still wormy, it will shed the worms and eggs and then it would be good if you move them to the other pasture for awhile.
I will worm her at day 7 from the last worming. Thank you. Doing all the things that ya'll have suggested. I am learning that I did not know what I thought I knew about sheep. Raising goats for many years I thought sheep would be similar. I was wrong. They are so different. Especially in the weed category. So much that sheep can't have. Still have a lot to learn. I appreciate this forum. Has helped me so much. Thank you.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm a goat owner...no sheep. Their forage couldn't be further apart. Sheep eat a few weeds a lot of grass. 360 for goats!! As livestock owners, the nutrition & other needs really make you cringe sometimes. Bred horses for several years, another set of issues -- types of grass 🙄

Right now, there are days that NO livestock sounds pretty good :old :lol:. Hang in there!! 😀. Sounds like you're on the upswing.

Leigh Ann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Baymule , @farmerjan Need a little help again. Since I was here last I first put out baking soda. They went on it.
I wormed the last four lambs with Safeguard.
(I have since bought Privermectin drench for sheep. Have not used it yet.)
Worming on 9/4. Got up stool samples and had them checked on 9/5. Results show a tapeworm and coccidia. I. Used Corid in water 9/5, 9/6, 9/7. Changing daily. All looking good, all eating and drinking except one. She was not really eating much and appeared weak. I decided to use the corid orally. Mixed 3 ozs to 1 pint of water. Gave each 30 ml for 100 lb lamb. Did not think they needed oral and in water. Gave fresh plain water
9/8... One had a cough. Later in the day it sounded raspy, fluid like. Gave 4.5 cc LA 200 for 100 lbs. May have aspirated drench. My thinking pneumonia. Some literature says that antibiotic is ok. Some say not. (Going to get penicillin) Corid drench to all 4. Orally. Anyway 9/9... 2 are the same and poop firming. One has scours, and the same one is still not eating and hanging her head. Gotta drench again this evening. I am at a loss. Can I worm with the new privermectin sheep drench? That one only or all? Don't want to overdo it with meds all at once. If she is still wormy, will the others be also? None are coughing now. But what to do? I do have the vitamin B12 and I have iron. I was thinking a B 12 shot for her. Maybe she would eat then. Please steer me to save this one's life. Don't want to lose a third. Thank you.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay. MY OPINION ONLY...... Vit B-12 shot to the one that does not want to eat much. Maybe a shot of iron to help build up the blood a bit... 1 shot of each .
Penicillin will not hurt it... give for 3-5 days, once a day.... something like only 1-2 cc... You will have to check the recommended dosage...

Is the one not wanting to eat/not acting right, the one with coccidia? Tapeworm? Both?

STOP drenching ANY OF THEM... since you may have caused aspiration in the one... Go back to putting it in the water if you want., ONLY to use up what you have premixed...
THIS is STRICTLY OFF LABEL.... by a vet I used to use that is retired... Give the one not acting good 2 cc of Corid...(1cc per 50 lbs).... DIRECTLY from bottle... NOT DILUTED...... in the mouth/throat...1x a day for 3-5 days.... You cannot cause aspiration like that, so very unlikely that small amount will get in her lungs. 2 cc is not alot but it is full strength getting directly into the gut tract to kill the coccidia....a small 3 cc syringe size, in the mouth, towards the back of the mouth/throat... squirt and it will swallow. Since you have been giving them Corid, as a drench, I would not do more than 3 days.
When you give things like that, you do NOT want to lift their heads way up in the air, it is too likely it can get in the lungs... you want them to be more level headed... You do NOT want them to have their head way up like they show sheep....which I think is absurd looking....but it opens the pathway to the lungs more....

Valbazen is the only wormer that will affect tape worms... so Safeguard or Valbazen (same family). BUT stop all worming at this point and concentrate on the coccidia... The lamb should be eating better after 48+ hours...

Honestly, with all the drugs you have put in them at this point.... this lamb will either live or die...

I have been gone all day, so hoping that you see this before you do chores/drenching this evening...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I give Corrid, I use it straight. I use a syringe and dose them.
1ml per 50 pounds. Drench in the morning for 5 days.

Give probiotics in the evening. Continue with probiotics 3-4 days after the 5 day treatment with Corrid.

On day 3, give a B complex shot or B complex paste. Corrid kills off the production of thiamine and the B complex will replace it. Give another dose on day 6.

Coccidia damages the gut intestinal lining. If the lamb survives, it may not thrive and not grow.

Leigh Ann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@farmerjan and @Baymule. I know you all think I am nuts. I have worried about all the drugs and drenching given to all 4 lambs. I appreciate all who have weighed in on my sick sheep.ou telling me what you feel should be done. I agree they have had too much
already. I did not give anything this evening. Decided to let the meds do their job and see how they are in the morning. Praying she makes it. I have been taking notes and will continue to study and learn. I will give the B 12 and the iron to her tomorrow. I will let you know how she does. Thanks for the info on using the Corid straight. Yesterday was the 5th day straight that they had corid. If they need it again, I may change to something else. Hopefully I have not killed them myself with so much stuff. Will let you.know how they are doing. Thank you.

Leigh Ann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@farmerjan and @Baymule. I know you all think I am nuts. I have worried about all the drugs and drenching given to all 4 lambs. I appreciate all who have weighed in on my sick sheep.ou telling me what you feel should be done. I agree they have had too much
already. I did not give anything this evening. Decided to let the meds do their job and see how they are in the morning. Praying she makes it. I have been taking notes and will continue to study and learn. I will give the B 12 and the iron to her tomorrow. I will let you know how she does. Thanks for the info on using the Corid straight. Yesterday was the 5th day straight that they had corid. If they need it again, I may change to something else. Hopefully I have not killed them myself with so much stuff. Will let you.know how they are doing. Thank you.

Leigh Ann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Baymule @farmerjan. Just wanted to let you all know that all.4 lambs are doing great. I used the corid 3 days orally to all 4. I gave the B 12 and the iron shots. All.have been eating very well. They look the best they ever have. We have poop that is pellets with 2 and the other 2 have firm pellets but one mass. Their hair just shines. I brush them regularly. I am so pleased with their looks and actions. I watched them today literally run and chase each other in circles in their lot. I have cleaned their stable down to the dirt and sprayed their entire enclosure to kill anything and everything. After everything dried I put down new shavings. I have been, from the beginning, cleaning their stable daily and fresh water. In the last 2 days they have eaten every bit of hay provided. Never have done that. Adding to their daily rations of alfalfa hay, but keeping grains the same amount. They all have beautiful pink gums too. I am so thankful for everyone's help getting thru this crisis. I do intend on getting the CD&T Vaccine as soon as possible. Just gonna give them some time to make sure they are completely well and time off without meds everyday. They need a break. I do too. Did not find any weeds they could not have except Polk Salad. That is what we here in NC call it. We dug up roots and all and disposed of it. We are dividing another pasture with very few weeds to let them in for a few hours each day. We have 30 acres so plenty of room to
move them around. Until they get a little older and stronger, I feel better about keeping them In the smaller pastures and feeding like I do now. I'll worm after 8 weeks and get their vaccines. I have a pharmacy here now, so that's no problem. If there is anything you can think of, that I need to do, please feel free to share. Again, thank you for helping me save my babies.
Pearl, Onyx, Ruby, and Emerald, Emmy for short.

Attachments

• 20240905_142120.jpg
    20240905_142120.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240905_142152.jpg
    20240905_142152.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 7

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m so pleased that your lambs are doing so well. Now you know what to watch for and you know what to do.

Do you have a plant ID on your phone? I have an Apple phone and it ID’s plants. It’s not always correct and sometimes vague, but most of the time, it’s good. You can identify plants on your farm and know which ones are toxic. Strangely enough, I have watched as my sheep stripped leaves from the deadly black nightshade, but not touch the berries. I don’t have black nightshade on this farm, but I have Jerusalem Cherry nightshade and they do the same thing.

They LOVE the wild blackberry leaves and will eagerly eat every leaf. I used to pick the leaves many years ago for my rabbits, they are medicinal for diarrhea.

Walk with your sheep, watch what they eat. Mine love oak leaves in the spring, new and yummy. Rest of the year they don’t much care for them, but will eat the brown leaves on the ground in the fall.