SkyWarrior Kidding Thread -- Lisa had her baby! Pictures on Pg 12

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congrats on Heidi's wee ones! Sorry you lost one, but at least you saved the other 2. You may have lost a week of time, but look at all the new babies you've gained as a result! Pretty productive if you ask me! :hugs

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
CrazyCatNChickenLady said:
Awwwee!!! I love the cream lamanchas. Wasnt she the one that got sick a little while back?
Yep, that's Heidi. She's all better from that. (Thankfully) He's a pretty little thing. His brother is also very sweet. Both are eating well. Heidi is still having discharge and some of it looks bloody. If it continues through Thursday, a trip to the vet may be in order.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So, Lisa and Lulu, my two Saanens haven't been showing signs of imminent kidding. I figured they were due to kid sometime very late March or even April. Lulu sure didn't look that big...

Today while I was milking does and feeding everyone, I noticed that Lulu looked a little bony (first clue). She also was making odd low noises (second clue). I looked at her back end. Didn't see any discharge and left her in the pen with the others.

An hour later, my DH comes home and runs to the door. He's afraid our blonde buckling, Mika, is hurt and can't stand up. I go down to the barn. He notices something strange about the kid--it has EARS--Mika is a LaMancha.

I walk into the pen and see a cute little Saanen doeling in the mud with both Lisa and Lulu staring at it. Lulu has a bag of afterbirth coming from her.

Okay, then. I pick the kid off the soggy ground and bring her into the barn. I lead Lulu there and put them in the kid pen. I then go to the house to get towels, iodine, dental floss and scissors. My DH is relieved this is a new girl and not an injured buckling. We dry the doeling off and have Lulu take care of her while I give Lulu some hay and grain.

Well, that was different!

It's supposed to get cold again tonight, so I've closed the barn. I'll take the youngest kids and put them in a dog crate for the night. After that, we'll have to sort out arrangements for Lulu and her baby. I'll get pictures tonight or tomorrow.

Lisa still has to kid. She's much bigger. I suspect twins.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
BTW, small amounts of discharge for a couple days to a couple weeks is NORMAL. As long as it doesn't

1. smell bad
2. get worse
3. the doe isn't acting sick
4. turn green or some strange oozy puss color.

Just clean her up now and then. Give her lots of love. Plenty of minerals and some red cell are in order...

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
BTW, small amounts of discharge for a couple days to a couple weeks is NORMAL. As long as it doesn't

1. smell bad
2. get worse
3. the doe isn't acting sick
4. turn green or some strange oozy puss color.

Just clean her up now and then. Give her lots of love. Plenty of minerals and some red cell are in order...
Heidi is looking good. Her kids are doing good too. I started milking her once a day and while she's a pain in the butt about it, she's slowly getting used to it.

She too is getting a bit of congested udder. It's a good thing I'm milking her because her kids would have a hard time drinking otherwise.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I've been milking mama for the same reason. I also massage her and it really has made a difference on her udder condition. Congratulations on your beautiful kids, BTW. I am still in awe of your delivery skills! Need any baby goats? I have nine of them...

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
I've been milking mama for the same reason. I also massage her and it really has made a difference on her udder condition. Congratulations on your beautiful kids, BTW. I am still in awe of your delivery skills! Need any baby goats? I have nine of them...
LOL -- you mean sticking my hand up a goat's rear end? I had no idea that I could get in as far as the elbow when it came to repositioning and pulling kids out. Nor did I know you could get a second hand in there. I do not have small hands for a woman. I think the one dog whelping long ago I assisted helped a lot. The female had a stuck puppy and after calling several vets, one told me to get that pup out, even if in pieces. :sick I got the pup out, (not in pieces, thankfully) but it was dead. It made way for three more pups to be born. :idunno You do what you have to.

I too found massaging the udder helps a lot! Belle, who had congested udder first, had some lumps that I have finally gotten broken up and out. She produces about 3/4 to 1 gallon of milk a day. Annie and Heidi add to it, but they don't produce as much because they've got kids on them.

Your offer for more kids is very kind, but I must pass. :gig I now have eight kids, not counting Buckwheat! Two are definitely sold. One may be sold soon. Oreo has thrown 6 girls and 2 boys. I think he's a keeper!

Next up will be Lisa. I'm guessing at least twins. She's the last of my pregger does for about 4 months or so. Delilia will kid in 4 months and that's fine by me.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Gosh, if a whole kid can fit up there, then surely your little arm can go in there. It is much smaller than a baby goat! And narrower. ALTHOUGH, I am not so sure the mama goat likes it all that much... LOL

I got four doelings and 5 bucklings. They are beautiful bucklings but really, I wanted more doelings!

I'm keeping two of the doelings for sure. Mama's girls are beautiful... And I am leaning towards keeping Socks. Jelly Bean's sundgauu doeling. She is a mini-me of Mama...

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
Gosh, if a whole kid can fit up there, then surely your little arm can go in there. It is much smaller than a baby goat! And narrower. ALTHOUGH, I am not so sure the mama goat likes it all that much... LOL

I got four doelings and 5 bucklings. They are beautiful bucklings but really, I wanted more doelings!

I'm keeping two of the doelings for sure. Mama's girls are beautiful... And I am leaning towards keeping Socks. Jelly Bean's sundgauu doeling. She is a mini-me of Mama...
That is so cool! I would love to keep more, but I don't really have the space for 9 more adult goats, even if we extend the fence. I'm keeping Mocha and am flirting with the idea of keeping Splash. I'll keep the two bucklings Mika and Kimi because they'll go to freezer camp in October. And Buckwheat will go to freezer camp as well. The mini LaManchas have homes. This new girl doesn't yet (hey, she just showed up today!). Depending on Lisa's kids, we'll keep the boys and sell the girls.

Dang. I have to plan for disbudding this week!