SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The Lulu and doeling picts!

2544_dscn0596.jpg

2544_dscn0594.jpg

And some of the herd:

2544_dscn0579.jpg

Lulu is a mess and has scours. I have a thread in the emergency section if you want to make suggestions for what I should do.

Blarneyeggs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I put an ad out for Lulu's girl and got so many responses it was amazing. (For those selling goats, but the word DAIRY in the title--people will flock to your ad). Evidently the breed means nothing to people. Sigh.

What was really funny was my friend who sold me my first three goats answered the ad. Today Lulu's kid and Splash go to a great new home where I know they'll be cared for. :thumbsup

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Poor Lulu! I sold her doeling today along with Splash to a friend who got me started in chickens and goats. I know the babies are in good hands, but Lulu was pretty sad, crying for her baby.

My husband wondered if we could bring Mocha in. I doubt it, but you never know.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Next up is Lisa. My poor husband is now smitten with doe code. He said this morning "I don't think she's pregnant." :lol: :gig

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lisa kidded on Sunday! A beautiful cream doeling.

It was a difficult delivery. She is a first time mom and started kidding late Saturday night/early Sunday morning when I got home from Miscon, a local SF convention. She looked miserable with occasional contractions with goo hanging out.

At about 7 am I went down to the barn and found her looking miserable still and lying down. I made the decision to help in the birth. She was tight up there and didn't have the flexibility others had, but I got in there, felt feet and something odd (later, I realized it was the doeling's butt) and pulled.

Lisa pushed a little and I saw the back legs. I figured the kid was dead until she kicked out. I pulled the rest of the way and out popped the doeling. Lisa was there helping me clean the sack off and the placenta. The doeling was already trying to breathe and I got the fluid out of her mouth and presented her to mom. What a mess. Her sack must have burst inside and the poor thing was unsteady. But I cleaned her up the best I could and let them bond while I went to the con.

I got back home, gave Lisa a shot of Pen G and looked for afterbirth. I thought there'd be another kid, but no. I tried feeling up there, but she was full of fluid and I couldn't feel a baby. So I let her be with her baby after making sure the little one got a teat.

Monday, Lisa was shaking. I gave her calcium tablets, a B-complex shot, and another shot of Pen-G. The baby, I nicknamed Missy after Miscon, was doing okay. I knew with the holiday, I wouldn't have a veterinarian available. When I came home from the con, Lisa was fine and perky, eating hay and grain and the little one was nursing but had some diarrhea. (I'll check Missy today to see if I need to fix that). Lisa's bag was a bit full and a little warm, so I milked her some and will freeze the colostrum. I'll be getting an oxytocin shot today to give to Lisa because she's still retaining the afterbirth. I'll be continuing the Pen G and the calcium for several days and then see what else I have to do. Overall, I think they're okay as long as I keep them together and out of the rain we're having right now. Overall, I think they're okay.

I'll add pictures today.

Lisa iis a good mom.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
animalmom said:
Pretty baby! How's Lisa doing?
She's doing pretty good. I gave her another shot of Pen G and gave her a shot of Oxytocin today at about 1:30. I have two more shots to give her if needed.

She's really taking care of Missy. Missy is convinced that mom's hay bucket is a bed. :lol: