Squirrelgirl88 - Double G Farm

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have sucessfully integrated the 9 week old chicks into the barnyard. They still don't really hang out with the big girls, but at least the hens are not picking on them anymore.

Tomorrow the 5 week old buckeye chicks go to the barn in their own little stall - I'm so tired of having chickens in the house. :celebrate A bird free home!

Not much cleaning done today, just some laundry and the grocery shopping. supposed to cool off to a chilly 86 degrees for Sunday. We need to do goat hooves and shovel some poop out. At least now with the power back on we can turn on the exhaust fan in the barn.

The visiting buck finally wooed Lily today. He's been here 6 weeks and she's been playing hard to get. So we have a November due date for Lucy and a December due date for Lily. This is a picture of the buck when he was younger. Lots of freckles.

3869_p8310555.jpg

And my girls

3869_p1070595.jpg

All of the littles ones from this buck this year had lots of spots, and most had his wattles.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The mean old rooster has flogged me for the last time. I'd had it. I put an ad on craigs list for free rooster and someone picked him up tonight. The guy has 100+ chickens and only three roosters so he'll be able to get his own little flock together. It was sad, really. Once we caught him I grabbed him and kissed him on the head and said goodbye. I did my best. I tolerated the flogging for A YEAR, but the new cuts a bruises were the final straw.

If it had been a mean dog we would have gotten rid of it the first time someone got hurt. But DH had a soft spot for the rooster so I tolerated it.

Anyway, now we are picking up a rooster from a family memebr that has too many. I swear she has the worst luck. She buys 6 hens and winds up with four of them being roosters.

So we'll either be getting a speckled sussex rooster or an easter egger rooster.

I had a day even Rolls might be impressed with. I got nothing accomplished at home, but I took care of weeks worth of errands in 10 hours.
Dentist Appointment, Doctor Appointment, Library, Job Interview for DD, Cell phone purchase for DD, Lunch, Doctor Appointment, Back to job interview to drop of forms, Bank appointment to open new account, take DD to her volunteer job, grocery store, cook dinner, GET RID OF ROOSTER - and now BYH time!

We at least got some rain today. I didn't have to water the garden tonight, hopefully I will get a break from watering for tomorrow too. Tomatos are starting to ripen so I can start canning. I've made a few small batches of pickled beets. We harvested about 25 pounds of red and yukon gold potatoes. But the groundhog ate my beans, peas, lettuce and cucumbers. :rant

I'm going to try an replant, but I don't know if there will be enough time.

OH - and my Meyer Lemon tree has one tiny little lemon on it. :)

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Squirrelgirl88 said:
The mean old rooster has flogged me for the last time. I'd had it. I put an ad on craigs list for free rooster and someone picked him up tonight. The guy has 100+ chickens and only three roosters so he'll be able to get his own little flock together. It was sad, really. Once we caught him I grabbed him and kissed him on the head and said goodbye. I did my best. I tolerated the flogging for A YEAR, but the new cuts a bruises were the final straw.

If it had been a mean dog we would have gotten rid of it the first time someone got hurt. But DH had a soft spot for the rooster so I tolerated it.

Anyway, now we are picking up a rooster from a family memebr that has too many. I swear she has the worst luck. She buys 6 hens and winds up with four of them being roosters.

So we'll either be getting a speckled sussex rooster or an easter egger rooster.

I had a day even Rolls might be impressed with. I got nothing accomplished at home, but I took care of weeks worth of errands in 10 hours.
Dentist Appointment, Doctor Appointment, Library, Job Interview for DD, Cell phone purchase for DD, Lunch, Doctor Appointment, Back to job interview to drop of forms, Bank appointment to open new account, take DD to her volunteer job, grocery store, cook dinner, GET RID OF ROOSTER - and now BYH time!

We at least got some rain today. I didn't have to water the garden tonight, hopefully I will get a break from watering for tomorrow too. Tomatos are starting to ripen so I can start canning. I've made a few small batches of pickled beets. We harvested about 25 pounds of red and yukon gold potatoes. But the groundhog ate my beans, peas, lettuce and cucumbers. :rant

I'm going to try an replant, but I don't know if there will be enough time.

OH - and my Meyer Lemon tree has one tiny little lemon on it. :)
:ep :bow you did manage a lot today. I only ran to the feed store. :fl your new rooster is sweet and hope you have enough to replant

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If the new rooster is sweet that would be great. I would be thrilled with a rooster that just ignored me. A great personality would be an added bonus.

Kinda sad this morning going to a quiet barn, no crowing. The guy called last night to let us know that the minute he put the rooster in the barn he started romancing his hens and an older rooster came down and put the new guy in his place FAST. I feel bad, but maybe he needed to be knocked down a few pegs to get that ego in check. DH is still kinda pouting about his rooster being gone, but he also knows we had to do something.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The new Ameracauna Rooster is home. He ignores me, I'm ok with that, but the hens are still ignoring him. He just doesn't have the commanding presence the last rooster did. Things still may change, but as long as I don;t have to be afraid to walk into my own barn anymore I'm happy.

DD started her first job this week. DH had a really hard time dropping her off at work. You'd think this was the first day of Kindergarten, not the first job of a 19 year old. It's hard to let her go when we've always had to watch her so close. With the Downs Syndrome, she's very friendly and outgoing, and it would be impossible to teach her about stranger danger. Once she got home I asked how it went "fine". That's all I got. teenagers. ugh

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok - update time. The Americauna Rooster has also left us - went to someone wanting to breed them. I bought a Buckeye Rooster and he has integrated beautifully. The hens all stay with him and he seems pretty docile. No FLOGGING yet. I got my first little pullet egg last week. It's about the size of a quarter. too cute.

The vet was here for a checkup on the goats. Both girls are bred. Lucy is due November 1, and Lily is due December 26. Both got CDT updates, and tested negative for parasites. I feel like a pretty good Goatie parent right now. First time vet visit and everyone is healthy!

So I guess in a week or two I can start a kidding thread, and start pacing the floor waiting. I'll get some new pictures this week to show off Lucy's baby bumps. DH now has a deadline to meet. He has 4 weeks to get my milking stand built. He works better under pressure :)