Squirrelgirl88 - Double G Farm

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
:hugs An old farmer told me once, when loosing animals stops bothering you, quit farming. It happens and it is tough because we care about them. if we didn't care we shouldn't have them.
Well said, Jodie.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
CHICKIES ARE HATCHING!!!!! I have three little Buckeye chicks so far and one with a pip started!

Now with 50/50 odds hen vs rooster, I figure at least one has to be a little roo.

We did lose one, pipped, zipped, and then died.

I set 15 eggs, so hopefully I get at least 6 hatch.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I posted on BYC - no one is answering. I have a chick that is 24 hours old. she hatched with some of the yolk still attached, unabsorbed. She's standing and peeping, so I don't want to give up on her. She is weaker than the others, and now after 24 hours the yolk sack has dried to a glob on her belly.

Since this is a chick from my poor deceased rooster, I am desperate to save her.

Any suggestions?!

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Make sure it is eating and drinking, I wouldn't take that piece off yet . I think it will be ok lots of luck to you :fl

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She passed late Monday night. Poor little thing. She fought a good fight.

I have three surviving buckeye chicks.

DH and I have decided to get a couple Buff orpingtons for some larger eggs. I can't keep up with my egg customers with only 7 laying hens.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, moved the chicks to the barn today under a brooder light. I had to get them out of my kitchen.

A new freeloader showed up today. DH found a kitten in the road and he's as big hearted as I am so he picked it up. On the ride home it climbed up under the dashboard of his truck and we had to extricate him from behind the glove box! What fun.

Cute little guy, he's not feral, so I'll try to find him a home.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, the kitten is still here. DD is tired of him being in her room. He's very cute and tame, I just can't bear to make a barn cat out of him. Plus he's only about 10 weeks old.

All FOUR goats are in heat. One Doe is acting like a buck and the youngest is standing for her to mount. Four Does - Girls - females......... :hu

My rooster has been gone for months, but my hens are still looking ragged. I finally solved that mystery too........ One of my HENS - female - HENS is mounting the other hens exactly like a rooster. :idunno

What in ^$(# is going on around here? Everyone is acting crazy.

The Buckeye chicks are 6 weeks old. Still too young to know is I have a Rooster. I better get one quick before any more hens go loopy.

It's too early to breed the goats. And I'm only breeding 2 of the 4 this year. The other two will just have to deal with the raging hormones. I'll have to buy the neighbors ear plugs - the screaming! :he