Squirrelgirl88 - Double G Farm

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I'm still here. Have not been on in quite awhile, just started lurking again last week. Seems like everyone lost interest.

All critters are doing well here. Fourteen hens, mixed Buckeyes and Golden Comets and One Buckeye Rooster. Four Nigerian Dwarf Does, and one Dog - Dutch Shepard, Labrador mix. After losing both of our dogs last year Hubby got me a puppy - gee thanks.

Just had the vet out to check over the goats. Everyone is healthy, small case of whipworm, little bit of coccidia, and one doe with a skin infection on her tail. Over all not bad. And we didn't have any casualties of this harsh winter we've had.

Planning on breeding three of the girls early summer for fall babies. Didn't breed them last fall. No chicks this year 14 hens is all we need even though three are past laying age. Something changes I can always get out the incubator and grow some more!

I'm dying to get the garden started. I keep checking all of the fruit trees for buds. We've got peach and two kinds of apple now. And Gooseberries, red raspberries, black berries, strawberries and four kinds of blueberries. Oh - and grapes. I made somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 jars of jam last year - makes great Christmas presents.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The Red Raspberry jam is delicious. I swear you could put it on an old shoe and I'd eat it. I just planted the gooseberries last year, so haven't had enough fruit to try anything with them yet.

I'm thinking of adding a Honeyberry or a Goji berry or maybe even Currants to the mix. Hubby just rolls his eyes cause he knows that means another hole to dig and more fence to keep the deer away!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I had to go look up Honeyberry as I have never heard of it. It sounds yummy. I love Goji berries.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, one of our Buckeye Hens that prolapsed last fall is acting poorly. She's still eating and laying once in awhile, but she's losing weight and we can tell she's weak and unhappy. I probably should have culled her when it happened, but I just couldn't. Now she smells AWFUL and the vent is all gross again. Everything I've read says we cant fix a prolapse once it happens. She's almost two and should slow down production, I'd like to save her, but I have no idea where to start. The only thing we've done for her is give her warm baths to clean up the vent and apply Neosporin or I got some poultry spray for infections. I'm way too attached to my chickens........................

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had to go look up Honeyberry as I have never heard of it. It sounds yummy. I love Goji berries.

What do you do with Goji berries? I figured just eating them plain, or maybe on yogurt etc. Is there anything else?

I'm a sucker for "odd" plants. If no ones heard of it or it seems rare I buy it, plant it and then have to figure out what its good for. I bought the gooseberries because I read about gooseberry wine and Hubby make his own homemade brandy.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I eat Goji berries plain, coated in chocolate is especially yummy, on yogurt is good (along with granola), baked into quick breads or pancakes...

Latest posts