Squirrelgirl88 - Double G Farm

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I just read another post about a stray kitten so I thought I'd post our latest adventure. We came out of a local spaghetti dinner Wednesday night and there sits a VERY skinny kitten. Of course being SOOOO allergic to cats I pick her right up and bring her home. I feed her, she cuddles, purrs, snuggles in my lap then the dogs scare her - GONE. Thursday night I walk back down the road - there she sits on the steps of an empty social hall. I repeat same process as night before, this time I lock her in the barn for the night. I go out to feed her breakfast this morning - she eats then runs off again.

I can't rescue you if you won't let me! I know where she is. She's sitting on those steps again. She's too little to have kittens anywhere, there is NO ONE at the business feeding her. She is skin and bones. How many times do I bring her home and feed her? :he

I was planning on getting her to the Vet in the morning, but how do I put $$ into a cat that isn't smart enough to know she's been rescued? :barnie

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Your name ALWAYS makes me smile as I think of the movie "UP" and how dogs attention span is so short. SQUIRREL!

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am prone to laying things down and not finding them for awhile (keys, cell phone etc.) So this guy I dated once said I was just like a squirrel, hiding nuts and never finding them again. the nickname stuck. (I also suffer from the "I came in this room for something, what was it" syndrome) Pretty bad at my age. I figure I'll be a blubbering idiot by the time I'm 50 at this rate. :/

And yes - I loved UP. At our house every one does the"SQUIRREL" quote. And since we have walnut trees and chestnut trees near the house, we hear "SQUIRREL" quite often.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
My sister also uses the SQUIRREL on her ten month old daughter as she hears something and suddenly a new subject to study, lol.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, discovered a new little issue in the barn this evening. We have an egg eater. Apparently, one of the chickens laid her egg on the barn rafter - don't ask, I have NO IDEA how she did it. One of the hens found it tonight, broke it and ate the whole thing. Egg yolk dripping from the barn rafters - yuck. So now I'm up on a ladder - not a favorite place to be - with a chicken butt in my face, checking the rafters for more missing eggs. The girls are molting, so I was not alarmed when production slowed. I saw no evidence of other eggs, but who knows if they ate the evidence or not. Stupid chickens. :(

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, no new evidence of egg eating in the hen house. Good thing. With everyone molting I only got 1 egg today anyway. :/ The goats are fighting - does in heat - go figure. I'm half afraid to bring a buck in, they might hurt him! Little harlots anyway.

Cold and rainy here - ruins trick or treat for the little ones. But on the upside, more candy for the adults.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Squirrelgirl88 said:
Well, no new evidence of egg eating in the hen house. Good thing. With everyone molting I only got 1 egg today anyway. :/ The goats are fighting - does in heat - go figure. I'm half afraid to bring a buck in, they might hurt him! Little harlots anyway.

Cold and rainy here - ruins trick or treat for the little ones. But on the upside, more candy for the adults.
hippo.gif

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well the cat I tried to rescue a few weeks ago was not at the meeting hall when we went down this week. I hope someone else took her home and locked her in.

Chickens are still molting - I get one egg a day now. Never thought I would consider eggs a precious commodity. I refuse to buy store eggs again.

Been talking to the breeder about borrowing the buck for the girls. I thought I'd wait til they were 10 months old before breeding. that would give us June babies. I don't know if I should wait til they are older, but I want the kids off to get a good start before next fall. Has anyone had trouble with babies coming in the summer heat?