Squirrelgirl88 - Double G Farm

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I was watching tv and they didn't pay much mind when the storm was over us but when it got over you they broke in for 20 minutes and it looked ugly. Glad you faired well. If you don't have a basement, I guess you could camp with your critters and feel safe :)

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh I have a basement, I just won't go down there. It's a pull door in the middle of the kitchen floor, and its not pretty down there. This is an OLD house. I've been down there less than a dozen times since we bought the house. I'd rather go sit in chicken poop and die with the goats & chickens. :)

I guess the worst of the storm actually went south of Newark, closer to I70. We didn't even really have too many limbs down in our yard. No actual tornados touched down.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
One of the goats is in heat - and I know why they call it a screaming heat. Good Lord is she LOUD. The neighbors must think she's being tortured. I keep telling her that there isn't a buck for MILES, but she won't listen.

I'm seriously starting to question evolution........why would an animal come into heat LONG before they should be safely bred? (this applies to teenage girls as well) :) And why does an animal that quite often has triplets or quads only have two teats? Heck - when they try to "evolve" and grow a third teat, the breeders cull them from the breeding population. :/

Sorry - tangent over.

Anyway, gave the goats and chickens a pumpkin to snack on. As usual, the goats sniffed, but will not try anything new. the chickens however were quite happy with their treat. I've yet to find something that the chickens won't eat.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Squirrelgirl88 said:
One of the goats is in heat - and I know why they call it a screaming heat. Good Lord is she LOUD. The neighbors must think she's being tortured. I keep telling her that there isn't a buck for MILES, but she won't listen.

I'm seriously starting to question evolution........why would an animal come into heat LONG before they should be safely bred? (this applies to teenage girls as well) :) And why does an animal that quite often has triplets or quads only have two teats? Heck - when they try to "evolve" and grow a third teat, the breeders cull them from the breeding population. :/

Sorry - tangent over.

Anyway, gave the goats and chickens a pumpkin to snack on. As usual, the goats sniffed, but will not try anything new. the chickens however were quite happy with their treat. I've yet to find something that the chickens won't eat.
Same way here with the chcikens. Only thing I have seen them not eat was sweet potato skins. I wanted to get a pumpkin for our chickens and to try with the goats, but when we were out at Halloween hunting pumpkins noone had anymore. Needless to say we didn't get to do a jack-o-lantern because of that.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I accidently fed them old Rice a Roni and Chicken once and the loved it.:D

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I gave them left over veggies from a banquet we attended this weekend. They were not impressed. Veggies are all over the barnyard, but not many eaten. We weren't impressed either, that's why we gave them to the chickens. :p

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Squirrelgirl88 said:
I thought citrus was bad for chickens - don't know where I read it though
It's not bad for them per se...but it will cause them to reduce or stop laying for a while.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, Thanksgiving is here. The turkey is defrosting in a cool bath, everything else is in the fridge. We have dinner at our house with the family now that we own the biggest place. There are only 10 of us, but with 3 of those being kids, that's plenty running around.

No greenbean casserole here, no one eats it anyway. I also nixed the pumpkin pie. Only 3 of the 10 eat it anyway. The kids would rather have grandma's brownies so why not?
I have scaled down the amount of food we cook. There is no need to have EVERYTHING that was ever made for Thanksgiving. That being said, I bought a 20 pound turkey for 10 people. :p

Hey, I like leftover turkey. This way I can keep some leftovers, but still send some home with everyone.

My grandmother is 90 and was just diagnosed with breast cancer. This year I am thankful she is with us and that the diagnosis was early. She can be a real grump, but I'm trying to tell myself that at her age she is entitled to be a little sour about things. We have fewer thanksgivings in front of us than we do behind us. I hope we can all enjoy each other while we can.

I don't do Black Friday shopping. There is N-O-T-H-I-N-G I want bad enough to fight the crazy people. I may take DD to see the new Muppet Movie - that is if we can get anywhere near the mall parking lot.

Well, I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, and safe travels to all.