Squirrelgirl88 - Double G Farm

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you. I know most people love the blue eyes, but Lily's big brown eyes just melt me. She comes over and just rests her head on my leg and then looks at me and I melt. Don't tell Lucy, she thinks she's the herd queen and should be worshipped.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have Easter at our house now - since I have the best yard for the easter egg hunt. Don't eat the brown jelly beans! The kids know to bring old shoes cause there is always poop in the yard. Goat poop, chicken poop, dog poop, deer poop, raccoon poop...... did I mention our grass is well fertilized?

So, today I am filling 100+ plastic eggs with candy and change, then to the grocery for the dinner menu. I have about a dozen other errands, but since it's raining, I can't get anything done outside anyway.

Goats are hiding in the barn, dogs are crashed for their morning naps.This would be a good day to stay in bed and watch old movies. No, gotta get motivated. Maybe I'll read Rolls' posting again for inspiration. She always makes me feel like an underachiever. :p

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I hope you have a good day errand running!

To be honest I haven't even started to think about Sunday's preparations... :hide

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I just ordered my first chicks. We've decided to raise Buckeyes. Meyer Hatchery only sell them 3 at a time, and that is really all we wanted to get started. That will bring our hens up to 8, and one mean rooster.

Speaking of - that $(#^ let my 3 year old niece walk right up to him and throw him some BOSS, but If I even step into the yard BAM - Flogs me. I'm hoping if he has more hens to cover he'll be too tired to pay attention to me.

I'm going to the library today to check out the chicken books again. Does anyone have any advice that I won't find in the books about raising chicks? IS ther any advice in the books I should ignore?

With shipping cost, these girls are costing me close to 14.50 each, and I don't want to screw this up!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I have 2 Buckeyes. They are wonderful girls.

A lady around the corner from me is raising and breeding them so if you decide you want more let me know and I can get you her info...and the drive isn't so far so you could save shipping that way ;)

I would get rid of that rooster and find a new one honestly.

Advice not to use: Don't waste your money on that Grow Gel stuff...alien green goo is all that it is.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My great grandparents had a farm. They raised dairy cattle, chickens, sheep, hogs and of course barn kittens. I have very fond memories of going to the hen house with grandma to collect eggs. She always would laugh at me because I WOULD NOT reach under a hen for an egg. I'm not sure what I thought would happen, but I wasn't going to find out.

My mother has commented that some of the things I do, grandma did. Like the oyster shell for the chickens. I guess it makes me feel connected to her to find out that somethings you just can't improve on. She's been gone 20 years now, but I think she'd still be laughing if she were here. I know she would have put this rooster in a pot a long time ago!

She still had an outhouse until 1979. She used the water pump outside for her dish water, and I remember thinking how odd it was that she had to light her cooking stove with a match. One of her grandson's lives in the house now. The water pump is still out front and still works - I wouldn't drink it though. The animals are all gone, and the farm land is leased out. I know I probably have a very romantic vision of how they lived, it was probably much harder than I could ever imagine. But a part of me wishes I could have grown up there.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have always said I would like to be able to afford to live the way people HAD to live 100 years ago. It does seem idealic. Probably not to them tho. Memories like those are what make life worth remembering.